Sleep Away the Pounds

34at35
34at35 Posts: 318
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
I came across the book "Sleep Away the Pounds: Optimize Your Sleep and Reset Your Metabolism for Maximum Weight Loss" in the library the other day. I'm reading it now and am learning a lot about the relationship between sleep, appetite-regulating hormones, exercise, nutrition, and stress. I recommend it for anyone who is having trouble losing weight and/or having trouble getting a good night's sleep. There are definitely some "nuggets of knowledge" in it.

Replies

• Unfortunately, I suffer from sleep apnea, although as I lose weight it seems to lessen. They say that apnea causes weight gain...
  • 34at35
    34at35 Posts: 318
    The book has 4 pages on sleep apnea and snoring. The book says the most important factors in correcting disordered breathing are losing weight, eliminating sugar and other high-glycemic carbs from the diet, stopping smoking, and avoiding alcohol. Other things that help are going to sleep and getting up the same time each day, because Stage 1 sleep (when you are first falling asleep) and REM sleep (when dreaming most frequently occurs) are the 2 phases most vulnerable to the development of unstable breathing, and dealing with blockages of the nose, throat, and lungs.

I was also diagnosed with sleep apnea by a sleep study but my weight loss and a prescription on Nasonex by my doctor have eliminated it completely. He studied my sleep study results and we discussed how I normally slept on my side and they wanted me on my back during the study. He then noted that the apneas were occuring when on my back. I told him I slept on my side because my nose would get congested when on my back but not on my side. He examined it and had me try the Nasonex nightly before bedtime. Two sprays in each nostril. Result - no congestion and with the weight loss, no more apneas. :bigsmile:

I like this treatment plan a helluva lot more than wearing a dumb ol' CPAP mask! :drinker:
This discussion has been closed.