Depression...

2»

Replies

• Cherp18
    Cherp18 Posts: 224 Member
    The best thing I've found to fight depression is the #1 thing I do NOT want to do when I'm depressed - work out. I make a deal with myself that I only have to work out for 10 minutes and I can stop. At least that's SOMETHING, right? But once I've gotten changed and shoes on, I get to the 10 minutes and keep going every single time. Then when I'm done, I have accomplished something towards my goal and nothing feels better than that. The first couple times were the hardest, but it's getting easier and easier because I know it's an instant mood lift.

^^ This ^^
  • 1000hours
    1000hours Posts: 1 Member
    I've dealt with this along with resulting eating disorders - but i'm lucky that when i do feel down i no longer comfort eat - i go to the gym and seriously calorie restrict. This makes me feel more in control of my life when i'm watching the scales go down and gaining energy from exercise. knowing i'm always working towards something better, a skinnier healthy happier me. This mindset is so good for helping depression, even when you feel at your lowest you know that tomorrow will be better because it will be one step closer to your goal. November 19th 2010 i weighed in at 98.9 kg because i did use to comfort eat when i felt low, today i am 67.5 kg and i'm alot happier. it's defiantly a struggle to stay down at this weight though and it gets me down that i can't eat what others can - specially since i work part time at a super market and am constantly watching skinny girls come in and buy chocolate bars - you can't help but feel incredibly jealous. but when i'm sad, working at my weight loss makes me feel better - knowing that life would feel alot worse if i was still 30kg heavier. I hope this helps! :)
  • karmahunger
    karmahunger Posts: 373 Member
    For me, it's tough because I stay up all night and then sleep in very late. So it's hard to eat properly, since all my meals are close together so I often eat too little or too much. I've been doing better though! I am trying to force myself to get up earlier, I've been job hunting and such. It is hard because I don't have a lot of confidence, but I want SO badly to lose weight so I try to ignore my depression. Everyday it's a struggle, but it DOES get easier...or at least, it has been.
  • I've suffered from depression and been unhappy with my weight as long as I can remember. When I'm depressed and stressed, I overeat. Just recognising the link was a step for me. Now, I know that exercise helps my mood immensely - and I mean quite hard exercise that gets you sweating and out of breath. I know it's hard to get going, especially when you feel down, but I can promise you it works.
    I also see a therapist who does cognitive behavioural therapy and that really works for me. You can try it out online at a website called Mood Gym.

Mostly, be nice to yourself. Judging from your pic, you are gorgeous and probably not as overweight as you think you are. I am, realistically, 5kg overweight, have been about 7 or 8 - but I go on about it as if I am really obese when I am in a down mood. Yes, depression makes it a bit harder - but if somebody told you it was difficult to lose weight because they were diabetic or had a broken leg, you'd be nice to them about it, so treat yourself with the same kindness. You deserve it!

That's great advice. Thanks!
  • theWinchester
    theWinchester Posts: 68 Member
    I think how I feel without it, how I feel without exercise, how I feel when I'm eating pure junk by the tons. It doesn't feel good. The amount of comfort didn't compare to how much worse I felt after.

When I eat good food and when I exercise I feel a bit better, and with continued effort it feels even better.

It's also important to NOT deprive yourself, make good foods. Need a chocolate fix? That is great, eat real dark chocolate. Make healthy satisfying desserts (yes they exist) Buy beautiful foods that feeds your soul and body.

Need exercise motivation? Try different workouts, Belly dancing is fun and different. Make "everything" feel fun, NOT like work!

Think of the reasons why you wanted to lose weight in the first place, they should be positive and motivating reasons.

I haven't found all the answers, I just know I'm better than I was a month ago, man even 2 weeks ago. I just keep trying because I know I "really" can't afford to let myself get to that low place again. And living a healthier lifestyle has help tremendously.

These are my favourite exercise people, (and they are from youtube so they are free!!)
    Cassey Ho from blogilates (she is my favourite so motivating and always offering great tips check out her blog and 2nd channel)
    Tiffany Roth from TiffanyRotheWorkouts ( has fun belly dancing-ish stuff)
    Livestrongwomen (Has a mixture of things)

Good luck! :)
  • valerieknox
    valerieknox Posts: 45 Member
    These are my favourite exercise people, (and they are from youtube so they are free!!)
    Cassey Ho from blogilates (she is my favourite so motivating and always offering great tips check out her blog and 2nd channel)

Oh cool, gonna check those out! I really like Cassey Ho, but it would be fun to try something new! And belly dance is so fun :)
  • theWinchester
    theWinchester Posts: 68 Member

Oh cool, gonna check those out! I really like Cassey Ho, but it would be fun to try something new! And belly dance is so fun :)

Yay I hope they help! :D