Meal progression

Options
I am just wondering if what I'm doing is alright for weight loss... This is with keeping within my calorie allowance:

I eat smaller, healthier meals for breakfast and lunch that are usually 300 calories or less. That leaves me a higher calorie allowance for dinner. I tend to have to do this because the dinners I make for the family tend to be higher in calories per serving with higher amounts of protein and carbs - consider this the "big meal of the day."

Is it okay to have this kind of routine? Two really small meals and one big meal?

Replies

• catjrow3
    catjrow3 Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    If you still lose weight, I am sure its fine, but ... they say you should eat your largest meal of the day in the morning and get lighter as the day goes on...
    eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince and dinner like a pauper....
    :)
  • DenyseMarieL
    DenyseMarieL Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I have done this on some days, and others I use more at breakfast. It depends on whether I worked out the night before. I've been losing .5 lbs per week so I don't think it's had any negative effects!
  • SarahofTwins
    SarahofTwins Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    That sounds like a good plan to stick to. I like to save my calories for the evenings as well because that's when I get hungry.
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends-is it working for you? IF so then I say go for it :smile: I've done that myself on some nights
  • minkakross
    minkakross Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    calories in is calories in, it doesn't make a difference if you eat them all on the front end of the day or the back, heck some people eat them all in a meal or two and skip breakfast or dinner. There are people who will swear otherwise but the either way actually works just fine. If you are doing this, and it works, stick with it; if it turns out you are not getting the results you want, then tweak it but don't let the MFP arm chair experts get you confused with our well meaning advice.
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    However you want to divvy up your meals and calories is entirely up to you. Do whatever keeps you most satiated and makes you feel best. This is one of those few things where the phrase "everybody's different" is actually applicable.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    When you eat what has no effect on weightloss. It's calories in vs. calories out.
  • LilPinkNinja
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I had a feeling that the "calories in are calories in' thing was exactly the case. I just try not to eat too late so that I don't eat my huge calorie meal then pass out in a food coma, lol.
  • keirajl
    keirajl Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I do the same. I can't stand to eat in the morning, I just can't do it. I usually try to eat a special K bar (90 calories) for breakfast. Lunch usually a SmartOnes (300 calories). I have a small snack and then work out after work. And the rest of my calories end up being used in the evening. It just fits better with my lifestyle.
  • cyn60
    cyn60 Posts: 20
    Options
    I've done this on occasion, I've just found if I eat my big meal late and go to bed within 3 hours I tend to put weight on. I try very hard to eat my big meals for breakfast or lunch but if I can't (like tonight) I try to eat dinner early (5-6pm). This is how my body works, I do have friends that it does'nt effect this way.
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    If I don't eat a big breakfast then I just don't eat enough. My body needs to be kick started in the morning else I end up skipping lunch and having to make up 1000 calories at night for dinner - which isn't fun when you don't eat garbage :( I find dinner is normally my lightest meal if I am the one doing the cooking so I tend to already have to have an after dinner snack to hit my numbers. I try to split my day where my 3 meals are roughly the same calories and then I have snacks to cover the rest.
  • wfte
    wfte Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    One addition I would make is to try to make sure all of your meals are still balanced. Your body can't store protein so it isn't best to eat all your protein intake at one meal.
  • peuglow
    peuglow Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    If you still lose weight, I am sure its fine, but ... they say you should eat your largest meal of the day in the morning and get lighter as the day goes on...
    eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince and dinner like a pauper....
    :)
    While this may work for you, this is completely false. There are no studies backing up that the calorie balance of any meal needs to be larger in the morning/evening/etc

Anytime someone says "they say" don't listen to it. It's usually a falsehood without any scientific backing.