I reached my goal, but what now?

Options
2»

Replies

• mair123
    mair123 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on achieving your goal! You should be very proud. Go to your MFP profile and choose the maintain weight option. I would continue to track your calories and keep up the work outs.
  • NataBost
    NataBost Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Set a new goal. :) There are always new challenges. You don't have to necessarily lose more weight, but make a new fitness goal or something else that will challenge you.

This times1000000x.
  • needamulligan
    needamulligan Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    vague recollection of a maintenance setting where you set your weekly weight loss goals.....?

Oh and CONGRATS!!
  • Musically_Blessed
    Options
    On the MFP site under tools they have a calculator that says how many calories your burn doing nothing at all. I would say to maintain the weight to eat those calories, or if you still plan to exercise then to eat back the calories you burned
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    I would try this out and see what it tells you you need to maintain, then increase your calories slowly (maybe 200 every three days)

For WOMEN: 655 + (4.35 x Weight in pounds)+(4.7 x Height in inches) - (4.7x Age)= BMR The amount of calories your body burns just from being alive

FOR MEN: 66+(6.23 x weight in pounds) + (12.7 x height in inches) - ( 6.8 age in years)= BMR. that amount of calories you burn just from being alive.

Step 2: Take that number and multiply by your activity level:

1.2 Sedentary (little to no exercise)
    1.375 Lightly Active (1-3 days a week)
    1.55 Moderately Active (3-5 days a week)
    1.7 Very Active (6-7 days a week)

Step 3:

LOSE weight: Subtract 500
    MAINTAIN weight: keep the number the same
    GAIN weight: Add 500

The final number is the amount of calories you should eat a day.

Please note this does not work for everyone. This method increases my BMR by 459. My BMR according to all other sources is around 1690 this has me at 2149.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I would try this out and see what it tells you you need to maintain, then increase your calories slowly (maybe 200 every three days)

For WOMEN: 655 + (4.35 x Weight in pounds)+(4.7 x Height in inches) - (4.7x Age)= BMR The amount of calories your body burns just from being alive

FOR MEN: 66+(6.23 x weight in pounds) + (12.7 x height in inches) - ( 6.8 age in years)= BMR. that amount of calories you burn just from being alive.

Step 2: Take that number and multiply by your activity level:

1.2 Sedentary (little to no exercise)
    1.375 Lightly Active (1-3 days a week)
    1.55 Moderately Active (3-5 days a week)
    1.7 Very Active (6-7 days a week)

Step 3:

LOSE weight: Subtract 500
    MAINTAIN weight: keep the number the same
    GAIN weight: Add 500

The final number is the amount of calories you should eat a day.

Please note this does not work for everyone. This method increases my BMR by 459. My BMR according to all other sources is around 1690 this has me at 2149.

Or use the site below to estimate BMR and then start at step 2

http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/
  • lx_moss
    lx_moss Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I found the easiest way to maintain weight loss is to eat normally, I usually don't track when I eat normally. You'll give yourself a five pound window 120-125. Weigh yourself once a week. Once you hit that 125, start counting calories again to bring yourself back down to 120. As time goes on, the time it takes you to get to 125 will be longer and longer. This is because your body is getting used to being at that weight. I think this is a great alternative if you don't feel like you want to track every calorie for the rest of your life :)
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Maintenance.