CALORIES? CARBS? FAT? SUGAR? SODIUM? WHATS YOUR FOCUS?

Options
12346»

Replies

• EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Body Fat % is my focus.
  • rebelontherun
    rebelontherun Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    My main focus is calories and potassium (I have very low potassium intake that has brought on some health problems)
  • castlerobber
    castlerobber Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Hi all,
    I was just wondering what you pay more attention to, calories, carbs, fat, sodium or sugar.

In order of importance--carbs (fairly low, 40 to 60g), protein (adequate, 1g per lb of lean body mass), added sugar (low), fat (relatively high, avoiding polyunsaturated and trans fats). Calories and sodium--don't much care.

Why do you avoid polyunsaturated? I thought trans was the only "bad" one? Aren't omega-3 fatty acids poly?

They are, but it's easy to get too many omega-6 in relation to omega-3 if you aren't careful. I try to emphasize salmon, shrimp, and omega-3 enriched eggs (flaxseed, tuna and walnuts are good, too) and steer clear of vegetable oils and corn oil.
  • acuratlsd
    acuratlsd Posts: 228
    Options
    Well, since I exercise a lot... I do try to stay within my calories, but also I plan ahead and I know how much exercise I will be doing for the day. So, I can actually plan to eat more or less if necessary.

The thing I have a hard time doing is keeping within my sodium. I also drink a lot of water 18 cups give or take a day. I also sweat a lot when I am doing the cardio, so maybe it will balance out.

I will usually have half to 75% of my carbs from all the weight training and cardio I do.

I will take in all the protein because I weight train and I will run my body down to the ground for the day so it needs it to rebuild.

I will also look into fiber and potassium because it will help with the muscles and flush your body out as well.
  • Tobethin608
    Tobethin608 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Carbs and protein.