living in a hotel!

Options
Hey everyone :heart: , I travel a lot for my job and I'm going to be in this hotel for the next SEVENTY DAYS! :noway: It has no kitchen although it has a microwave and tiny fridge. I need help! I've gained about 3-4 lbs just in the past 2 wks. It's VERY difficult to eat healthy here and I need some suggestions (and motivation) to help lose this weight. My workout schedule hasn't changed at all as I still workout about 5 days a week. I eat oatmeal for breakfast and during the weekday I have the frozen kashi lunches but when it comes to dinner, I'm at a loss. It's too tempting to eat the fast food and everything else down here on the gulf coast. Also, the weekends are killing me and I usually fall off the healthy eating schedule. Hopefully someone has some good words of advice so I dont keep eating this junk! :grumble:

Replies

• Jenks
    Jenks Posts: 349
    Options
    When I have to pick something up I go for subway.
  • JaneanAriel
    JaneanAriel Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Planning your meals is key. It really helps because you are less likely to go off kilter if you've stocked up on everything you need and plan your meals from Breakfast, Snack, Lunch, Dinner and snack. It's always good to pack! Sounds like you have the exercise part right, but you just need to clean up your eating. It's easier than we make it sometimes.
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    If you have a little fridge and a microwave you can still cook meat and veggies. Since you are going to be there for a little while, pick up some spices of your choice...or take them with you . Take a sharp kniife too. You can cut up chicken and veggies, season them the way you want and nuke em.

Or take a crock pot and throw your stuff in there in the morning. Cook enough that you can refrigerate for a few days and eat that.
  • jeffreyrashad
    Options
    ask for directions to the nearest grocery store! Those meals that you can put together yourself are better than fast foods(they come with caloric values) grab a head of lettuce and other fruits for that little fridge..and micro some of the Lean Cuisines or etc.....
  • kristinlough
    kristinlough Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    If you're on the gulf, there should be GREAT seafood options! Can you maybe try crabs dipped in malt vinegar and red pepper flakes instead of butter? (it's a FAVORITE at home), and I'm sure you could do similar options with shrimp, fish, etc. Also, don't forget fabulous salad options, and the Fresco menu at Taco Bell :wink:

If you're in Texas, I bet there are tons of vegetarian options with TexMex foods that could cut down on fat. And if you're in Louisiana, stay away from the sausage added to so much.
  • izzypup
    izzypup Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    There are some restaurants that have low cal meals.... If no,t some restaurants will cook plain chicken breasts and usually have a veggie mix. You can always see if there are lean burgers and just don't eat the bun. Good luck!
  • BiloxiBelle
    BiloxiBelle Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    What part of the Gulf Coast? If its the Biloxi/Gulfport/Ocean Springs area in MS, I may be able to help w/grocery stores, restaurants, etc.
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    A couple nights a week you could take some of that money you're saving by eating oatmeal and treat yourself to a nice dinner out, with a nice petite grilled steak, or a 1/4 of a roasted chicken, or some grilled seafood or steamed shrimp or something. Have a big salad with dressing on the side, and a little bit of potato or rice or something and you've got a great meal within your budget.

Fast food is crap 'cause it's fried. Step up just a little bit and go somewhere with a grill and you can have a great meal within your calorie budget.

Working on the road sux, don't make it worse by eating nothing but Lean Cuisine nuclear gar-bajj. You'll just get depressed and wind up drowning your sorrows in Chunky Monkey (ask me how I know!). You can do it, you'll find your way.
  • April0815
    April0815 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    If you're on the gulf, there should be GREAT seafood options! Can you maybe try crabs dipped in malt vinegar and red pepper flakes instead of butter? (it's a FAVORITE at home), and I'm sure you could do similar options with shrimp, fish, etc. Also, don't forget fabulous salad options, and the Fresco menu at Taco Bell :wink:

If you're in Texas, I bet there are tons of vegetarian options with TexMex foods that could cut down on fat. And if you're in Louisiana, stay away from the sausage added to so much.

I'm in Louisiana and sausage isn't really a big thing here. Unless you are making red beans & sausage or gumbo. Anyway, you can get brown rice that you can cook in the microwave, there's an egg thing you can put in the microwave to make hard boiled eggs, you can do sweet potatoes in the microwave. Don't forget about the steam fresh veggies in the bag or the ziploc steam bags you can cook meat in the microwave. As long as you eat your protein, carb and fat for your meals you are fine.
  • immacookie
    immacookie Posts: 7,424 Member
    Options
    Don't forget about those pre-washed and pre-wrapped potatoes made for cooking in the microwave! Great with some salsa!