Loose Skin

candacepainter
candacepainter Posts: 115
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
Has anyone lost around 100lbs and not have any loose skin or at least where it wasn't that bad?

Replies

• chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    I am at 87 so far and have very little loose skin on thighs/butt....everything else has toned up. It's taken me over a year for the 87 so it's been a slow steady process.

There are lots of factors that will determine saggy skin for you....age, how fast you loose. I think water helps hydrate the skin...time will help saggy skin too.
  • Triquetra
    Triquetra Posts: 270 Member
    I know I am trying to lose another 60 and am worried about that already. I figure I have a jar with my previous "eat out" budget that by the time I lose all my weight will then be my "tummy tuck" budget to get rid of the skin. My stomach has been the only place that has been a problem for me with loose skin, expecially after losing 30lbs so far and having 2 kids!!!
  • SugarHi
    SugarHi Posts: 452
    It's very very rare to actually have loose skin after dropping weight. Most people confuse loose skin with flabby skin with fat in it. This can be toned with weights. Actual loose skin is teeny tiny little ripples in the skin, this also can be toned with light weights, but it does take time. I've lost a total of over 200 pounds in less than 2 years. If you go to a gym, you should ask a trainer what exercises would be best to tone specific areas.

Congratulations on your weight loss! That is a LOT of weight to say good be to. Imagine 100 pounds of butter piled high! WOW :)
  • Jennplus2
    Jennplus2 Posts: 984 Member
    I am at 87 so far and have very little loose skin on thighs/butt....everything else has toned up. It's taken me over a year for the 87 so it's been a slow steady process.

There are lots of factors that will determine saggy skin for you....age, how fast you loose. I think water helps hydrate the skin...time will help saggy skin too.

I feel this is all true. My mother has lost a little over 110 lbs, not me but the trick is to tone as you go. Your skin can adjust but it needs time and help. She joined Curves and went 5 days a week (a fitness club for women) and also walked every day for an hour. Lot of good veggies and water and you will do great! :flowerforyou:
  • Fieldsy
    Fieldsy Posts: 1,105 Member
    I have lost 225lbs and have had a good amount of loose skin. I had surgery to remove it in my arms, chest, tummy tuck, and neck

The surgeries have made me feel 100x better about myself and now don't mind taking my shirt. I always felt like the extra skin was a burden and even though I lost so much weight, I still wanted to hide my body.
  • Also some people have said to drink skim milk for some reason this helps tighten the skin!! i would look into that further!!
  • Fieldsy
    lifting weights is a big help for someone with loose skin.

No matter what you do though, if you have a lot of loose skin.....you can't help it.
  • Thanks for all the input...so far I have lost about 60lbs and my skin has toned up fairly well! I just worry, worry, worry.
  • I have lost over 100 pounds and have toned up really well. I do cardio and weight lifting which has really helped. My arms are the hardest part of my body to tone (they were always very large) but I am starting to get some deffinition in them now.
  • I have lost 80lbs in the last 9 months and I have a lot of loose skin in my chest. I have stretch marks and loose skin on my stomach, too, but I don't worry about it because I just had a baby a year ago; I figure that will get better with sit-ups. But the loose skin on my chest really upsets me. I work out every day and moisturize constantly. I do chest presses, push-ups and yoga. Please tell me someone was able to fix the same kind of problem without surgery...
  • tiffanygil
    tiffanygil Posts: 478 Member
    I'm in the same boat. Ive lost almost 90lbs and the skin is pretty bad in some areas (lower tummy arms and thieghs) Ive toned through my whole wt loss journey but I still dont feel comfortable because of the skin. I hate it! If anyone can tell me how to get rid of it but with out surgery I would be a happy girl!
  • Fieldsy
    losing lots of loose skin on your own is pretty much impossible....I know it sucks

If you have very little loose skin...the best thing you can do for that is to weight lift.
  • deedeehawaii
    deedeehawaii Posts: 279 Member
    Oh man Oh man. I'm doing a real LOL here. Just wait, ladies, until you go through menopause, and then see what the changes in hormones with that process does to your skin!! :noway:
  • DeeDeeLHF
    DeeDeeLHF Posts: 2,301 Member
    Candace! Chrissy! Sugarhi!!, Fieldsy!!, BamaRose!, Natural Mom! and Tifanny!!!

You all ROCK!!! Your accomplishments are amazing!!! I am in awe!

As for me...well I am 45 and I have lost a total of 50# and have loose skin! The belly I can hide but I have it on my thighs and even my calves...it is in tiny ripples that just sort of sag. A harder part is that the looser skin "shakes" when I am running and can become hot and irritated. (spandex and lycra are a must).

I do think as time goes by it is getting better so I am hopeful for improvement.

I read a post and I plan to try it! The posts suggested daily dry brushing and quality lotion with firming agents!

DD
  • BobbieJo_1977
    BobbieJo_1977 Posts: 197 Member
    I go into the plastic surgeons office on Monday for a consult. I have so much extra skin it makes it hard to run anymore!! It is mostly on my thighs, stomach and around the hips and into the lower back. Mine just hangs there and has (it feels like) a million tiny ripples that just hang there. Imagine when you throw a rock into a still pool of water! That's what it looks like! My breasts are also deflated and I now wear push up bras to make them be where they are supposed to be! LOL I have done absolutely everything I could possibly do to help it, but nothing has worked, so my DR is sending me to this consult!

I also think it depends on how long you were overweight. I was well over 300# for at least 10 years. Anyway this is just my opinion. :smile:
  • Fieldsy
    goodluck

I hated looking at my body even when I lost all that weight......its like you cant win lol

I have scars but I would rather have them than flabs of skin........the surgeries changed my life
This discussion has been closed.