Rolling Luggage Should be Banned

Options
alias1001
alias1001 Posts: 634 Member
From all public places besides airports.

On crowded city streets they can trip people with those things. If you are too lazy to carry around your 10 pound laptop, than don't bring it.

I hate seeing kids walk around the neighborhood with these things. I carried my many books on my back , and I was 80 pounds soaking wet in middle school.

Exceptions of course for those with medical issues.

/end rant.

Replies

• kit_katty
    kit_katty Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    I agree, you nearly trip over these things all the time in downtown Toronto, during rush hour, people are wheeling them along and you don't see them until you're on top of them! Ug.
  • corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    But if the kids are using rolling backpacks to PREVENT the future back issues they'll possibly develop.... hmm?

I carried books on my back too and my back was fine. Until HS. I still visit a chiropractor weekly to help.
  • jflint86
    jflint86 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    They're actually finding that kids are developing back problems due to carrying so much weight in their backpacks. I remember in HS my back hurt like hell because the books are so heavy now :/

Of course, they make ergonomical backpacks now, but they're pricey.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    LOL, I definitely think it looks ridiculous when a 7 year old kid is dragging their rolling backpack.
  • opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Is this an American thing? In the UK, I've never seen people with rolling luggage other than at the airport and at train stations. Students use backpacks or shoulder bags for their books. I used a shoulder bag years ago when I was a student, and I have problems with my left shoulder now.
  • alias1001
    Options
    Eh. That's why you carry some in your arms and some on your back. Big deal.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options

So someone with back problems should have to carry around a doctor's note?
  • supahstar71
    supahstar71 Posts: 926 Member
    Options

On crowded city streets they can trip people with those things. If you are too lazy to carry around your 10 pound laptop, than don't bring it.

I hate seeing kids walk around the neighborhood with these things. I carried my many books on my back , and I was 80 pounds soaking wet in middle school.

/end rant.

Yeah! And let's get rid of strollers while we're at it. Friggin lazy people not carrying around their own babies. Grocery carts, too. I mean, come on.
  • rhall9058
    rhall9058 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    LOL, I definitely think it looks ridiculous when a 7 year old kid is dragging their rolling backpack.

Ok, looks aside (yes I agree, it's ridiculous), how about the functionality. If parents would pay attention to their kids and adjust the backpacks correctly to their kids (like the rest of our parents did), we wouldn't even have that issue. My back is just fine, and I had books for all of my classes, not just e-books and laptops like some of these kids have these days. Now that is ridiculous!!
  • JohnMessmer
    Options
    You would think in this day and age with technology the need to carry books home would be extinct.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Wait, kids are carrying books around? For school? :noway:

I agree agree about the adult business people and hipsters who are too lazy to carry their MacBookPro.
  • Jxnsmma
    Jxnsmma Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I swear my back pack weighed 50 lbs in highschool when I had to take home 3 different sets of binders and 5 different text books. I remember the straps sawing into my shoulders quite painfully. I have lower back, neck and shoulder issues in my adult life and though Im sure they were not caused completely by my back pack, if my son can avoid these issues I'll gladly get him a rolling bookbag. Whether or not you think he looks ridiculous...
  • scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Kids still have to carry around tons of books? You would think in this day and age that could offer e-books and/or a cheap e-reader as an alternative. Or maybe they do - I don't have offspring so I don't know.
  • Fit_Vixen
    Fit_Vixen Posts: 201
    Options
    My daughter fractured her spine 2 years ago. She was 9 years old. So she is one of those medical exceptions. And she still has to carry that 30+ lb. bookbag up 3 floors several times a day.
  • alias1001
    Options

So someone with back problems should have to carry around a doctor's note?

Yes, I am proposing that there be federal guidelines regulating the use of rolling luggage/backpacks. And police must enforce this new law and medical exceptions will be given through a licensing board.

-.-

No, I mean common sense.

And the stroller/grocery cart comment is also silly.
  • AuddAlise
    AuddAlise Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    But if the kids are using rolling backpacks to PREVENT the future back issues they'll possibly develop.... hmm?

I carried books on my back too and my back was fine. Until HS. I still visit a chiropractor weekly to help.

^^I work for a chiropractor that hates those things and would love to have them banned. They throw off 1 side of your body, making the otherside over compensate. Those things are BAD for you!
  • alias1001
    Options

^^I work for a chiropractor that hates those things and would love to have them banned. They throw off 1 side of your body, making the otherside over compensate. Those things are BAD for you!

Interesting! Here's what the American Chiropractic Association has to say about it: http://www.acatoday.org/content_css.cfm?CID=65

I think the rolling backpacks thing is just another example of parental overprotectiveness.
  • NormalSaneFLGuy
    NormalSaneFLGuy Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options

/end rant.

is this your thesis topic?
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options

/end rant.

What got your panties in a wad?
  • opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    My back is just fine, and I had books for all of my classes, not just e-books and laptops like some of these kids have these days. Now that is ridiculous!!

Why is it ridiculous? Having just completed a degree course where I used e-books (and electronic journal articles - I read hundreds of them on my Kindle) and a laptop, I've found it to be a much more organised, efficient and effective way of studying. So I'm curious why it would be considered ridiculous.