Ever feel like you're not doing "Enough?"

Options
How do you get through this? Im trying to tell myself that Im doing MORE than what I was before I started actively changing my life back in July.

But I keep feeling like I need to do MORE. :(

When did you feel like you were doing enough?

Replies

• abbym919
    Options
    I have a hard time with this when I start comparing myself to other people. But, as corny as it might sound, everyone's on their own journey and going at their own pace. I just signed up for my first 5K -- but there was a women's marathon in my city this weekend that made me feel completely inadequate in comparison. But you have to go at the pace that's right for you, and recognize that you'll do "more" when you're ready -- nothing wrong with small steps!

Also, I think if you make too many big changes at once, you a.) can't tell which ones are the most successful changes, and b.) might feel overwhelmed and not be able to keep it up at all.

If you really feel like you want to add "more," I'd start by doing something like 10 more minutes at the gym, or 1 more serving of veggies, something along those lines, depending on what you mean by "more" and what you're already doing!
  • mamabear0222
    mamabear0222 Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    thanks for the reply. I agree, I am probably comparing myself to others too much.
  • Dhemeyer
    Dhemeyer Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    This is a fantastic question... and one that I would imagine many others struggle with too (I certainly do).
    I think the comment of comparing yourself to others is very insightful and something that I have fallen victim to (and still do at times) myself. It can be helpful to compare ourselves to others that at every stage of their journey, but only if it motivates or inspires. Doing so can help us see what we have to look forward to; but it also helps us appreciate how far we've come.

But I find that I must not forget to pay attention to those that are standing nearly in the same place as I am. If I pay too much attention attention to what once was or where I want to be, I miss out on all the goodness that comes from just doing what needs to be done today.

If what you have been doing in the past has gotten you to where you are today and you've been pleased so far... then you are doing enough. And it will be enough tomorrow as well. Feel free to kick it up a notch... by all means I'm all about pushing my limits. But do so when you feel physically and mentally prepared, not just becuase there is fear.

Hang in there! You're going to do great :)