2 mile Running Advice

Options
Hello there!

I need to lower my 2 mile time by a minute or 2 by mid-November (have a test :sad: ). My current time is 19:54, and I don't really run much, but will obviously change that. I have tendonitis in both knees, but I'll just have put that to the side for the month (bad I know lol).

Sooooo, my question is, can someone give me some tips, recommendations or general advice for running schedules (in terms of freq., pace, sprints, distance)? 'twould be most appreciated!

Thank you in advance!!

Sierra :flowerforyou:

P.S. if you know any joint strengthing/support supplements, I would appreciate that too! :heart:

Replies

• meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    what sort of distance s do you run? generally increasing distance will build faster running times on the shorter distances.
  • sisierra
    sisierra Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Well as I said I don't really run at all lol :embarassed:

If I do run its generally only 2 miles
  • catsph123
    catsph123 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    When I started doing intervals on the treadmill for about 20 min total, it really helped me get faster during my steady pace runs!
  • OMGSugarOHNOS
    OMGSugarOHNOS Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    When I started doing intervals on the treadmill for about 20 min total, it really helped me get faster during my steady pace runs!

this
  • Leannek74
    Leannek74 Posts: 374 Member
    Options

Yep, treadmill (although I hate the thing) training help me speed up.
  • sisierra
    Options
    thank youuuuu! did you do 30:60, 60:120 or something different?
  • jppd47
    jppd47 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    Sprints will bring it down. 30/60s 60/120s. Also can go for distance. Do a 1/2mile warm up jog, slow pace then 1/4 mile sprint then walk 1/8 mile repeat for a total of 2miles. then a cool down jog and stretch.
  • amylahminute
    amylahminute Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Yes! Just like the above poster said, sprints will help you lower your time (although you're doing great!).

Also, try running to faster paced music. It can push you more than if you were running without it.
  • sisierra
    Options
    Sprints will bring it down. 30/60s 60/120s. Also can go for distance. Do a 1/2mile warm up jog, slow pace then 1/4 mile sprint then walk 1/8 mile repeat for a total of 2miles. then a cool down jog and stretch.

you rock!! thank you!
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    more miles, more miles, more miles

speedwork is well and good, but you need to have a better base

run more and run further (farther?) and your times will improve
  • butlera8
    butlera8 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I just took my pt test yesterday and the elliptical actually helped to bring my time down. I also loss weight and
    Gained stronger muscles which I'm sure helped as well.