Going back to work and fitting excersize in

Options
2»

Replies

• Siannah
    Siannah Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Two hours yes but its split up throughout the day. For example mornings I'll do 45-60 min of Zumba or Just dance on the Wii. Mid afternoons 30 min of a circuit training dvd or pilates or boxing. Evenings a 30 min walk on the treadmill or outdoors. I change it up frequently so my body doesn't get used to anything. I'm taking this seriously and I have 97 more lbs to go. Plus I love the way my muscles feel after a good burn!

I admire your willpower, well done you! But honestly, to me this sounds like you're overdoing it a bit. I would pick either zumba or circuit and alternate that daily, after work. And you can do a quick walk in your lunchbreak. Don't forget to take a rest day every now and then as well!
  • crazylovergrl
    crazylovergrl Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I have two full time jobs and go to school and have two kids and still go to the gym. Two hours is not necessary, actually that's excessive. Losing your all or nothing attitude is probably the best thing you can do.
    Do what you can when you can. A little is better than nothing. My lifting routine takes 20 min max most days... When I run, maybe an extra 20.
  • RachelReady2Run
    RachelReady2Run Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I can relate - I am a teacher so summer vacation and working out is different than working out during the school year. Sometimes at the end of the summer I'm excited to go back to work, because I know that it will provide more of an opportunity for a routine. Sometimes sitting at home all summer provides too many opportunities for temptation...

Just find a routine that works for you :)

Congrats on your new job!
  • gauchogirl
    gauchogirl Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    2 FT jobs here and three daughters. You can fit it in if you want to. I go on my lunch break without fail. When I go to the bathroom I do 10-15 pushups against the counter. I also take any free break period and go for a 15 fast minute walk, usually once a day as I have to pick up one of my daughters from school on the other one. But if she's ever sick or has another way home, I will walk that one too. Sometimes I go again at 5:00 right after work,even if only for 20 mins. It all counts! You can do it!

Edited to add: Years ago when I worked in a downtown high-rise building in a not-so-safe area, I walked down then back up the 15 flights of stairs 3 times a day (2 breaks and lunch) every day. There is always a way to fit in some exercise.
  • Tribbey143
    Tribbey143 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    "If you can dream it, you can do it."
    -Walt Disney
  • tamba01
    tamba01 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Can you workout at work. I mean if you sit at a desk, then do legs lifts are some type of exercise that is possible. If you stand at work, do small standing exercise, I think as long as you keep moving in some way you can get a little exercise here and there.
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    Just make it part of your routine. I'm a student now, but when I was working full time I'd get home from work, change into workout clothes, have a workout, put dinner in the oven, hop in the shower... Just make it a part of your day. To fit two hours in it might mean waking up an hour early, working out for an hour, showering, getting ready for work... When you get home, change, workout for an hour, start dinner... To me, it's easier when it's like that because you can't drag your *kitten* and screw around. You need to get it done, so you just... do.
  • cindybowcut
    cindybowcut Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Congrats on going back to work. I work full time and have other activities. I have to work out in the morning before work or it isn't happening. Make it work for you the best you can. While I am at work I make sure to take the stairs and never the elevator. Take the long route to the restroom or where ever you go. Every step counts.
  • bsix3
    bsix3 Posts: 291
    Options
    I walk everyday on my breaks and i have resistance bands at my desk that i use a few times a week. Yes i get strange looks but who cares! I'm on a mission. #BattleMode
  • Angie_Fritts
    Angie_Fritts Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Well, I always go to the gym before I go home from work. Yep there are days I'm tire and I don't want to. But, I do it anyway and feel better for it.

I would say that 2 hours may not be necessary if you do the right kind of high intensity workout.

But bottom line...if you want to make it work you will. If you don't you won't.