WHY isn't BIGGEST LOSER back on this year?

Options
I watch Biggest Loser for years and it seems like it didn't start this year. Does anyone know why?

Replies

• pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Cause last season was pretty much a drama-filled joke?

I actually have no idea.
  • gddrdld
    gddrdld Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    The web site says it starts in Jan 2013.
  • Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    Options
    Because Extreme Makeover Weight Loss Edition is better? At least I think it is. It's much more inspiring to me than Biggest Loser. :)
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    The web site says it starts in Jan 2013.

Hmph.

I was hoping the actual reason was that one of my prayers had been answered.
  • dar756
    dar756 Posts: 3
    Options
    Jillian is coming back in Jan. they just started filming and from what i read its going to be with Teens, it was on there facebook page
  • Mojamabo
    Mojamabo Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I think they are coming back on in January. Not sure why so late.
  • fallonrhea
    fallonrhea Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    They're completely redoing biggest loser next year. Instead of adults, it's gonna be teenagers - and Jillian Michaels is coming back!!

They're not going to have the weigh ins and the elimination like we're used to - instead it's going to be more focused on combatting childhood obesity through more activity, etc.

At least that's what I read online - you should be able to google it to learn more!

Here's a link to NBC talking about it: http://www.nbc.com/news/2012/09/04/nbcs-the-biggest-loser-is-bigger-bolder-and-back-in-january-2013-with-the-return-of-jillian-michaels/
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    Jillian is coming back in Jan. they just started filming and from what i read its going to be with Teens, it was on there facebook page

This sounds seriously bad.
  • Jay_Jay_
    Jay_Jay_ Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    They're completely redoing biggest loser next year. Instead of adults, it's gonna be teenagers - and Jillian Michaels is coming back!!

They're not going to have the weigh ins and the competition like we're used to - instead it's going to be more focused on combatting childhood obesity through more activity, etc.

At least that's what I read online - you should be able to google it to learn more!

I hope this isn't serious.

Instead of screwing up adults they are going to give a bunch of teens new eating disorders?

Great...
  • GretchenReine
    GretchenReine Posts: 1,427 Member
    Options
    The next season starts in January. Jillian will be back with Bob and Dolvett. I think that each team will also have a youth in it (not eligible for elimination) to try and help bring some focus to childhood obesity.

I can't wait for the new season!!! :cheers:
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 Member
    Options
    It'll still be the "traditional" biggest loser but part of Jillian coming back is bringing kids in and the kids are immune from elimination so they actually get to work with the team the whole time or something. Still be weigh ins and competition within the "main" group but the kids being involved.. it might get me to watch again hopefully they'll be back on track
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    January :)
    I'm going to watch it again now that J.M is back. I love her.
    I also love me some Dolvett lol
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

It's fairly common practice now. By starting then, they avoid the issue of what to do over the holidays...either take a break and lose momentum/viewership or don't take a break and lose viewership. That's my theory, at least. I'm looking forward to the day when the concept of TV "seasons" is completely scrapped.
  • GretchenReine
    GretchenReine Posts: 1,427 Member
    Options

They're not going to have the weigh ins and the competition like we're used to - instead it's going to be more focused on combatting childhood obesity through more activity, etc.

Instead of screwing up adults they are going to give a bunch of teens new eating disorders?

Great...

My understanding of what I read is that each team will have at least one player between the ages of 13 and 17. The teenagers will NOT be eligible for elimination though.
  • JLand918
    JLand918 Posts: 156
    Options
    After season like 3 of Biggest Loser it went downhill the producers turned it into survivor for fat people they added drama,backstabbing etc to make it interesting when they had the show perfected in those first 3 seasons. I stopped watching after season 3.
  • fallonrhea
    fallonrhea Posts: 388 Member
    Options

Great...

My understanding of what I read is that each team will have at least one player between the ages of 13 and 17. The teenagers will NOT be eligible for elimination though.

Ohhhh, I see!!! You're right. I personally think that's kind of cool! How is promoting healthy lifestyle promoting eating disorders??
  • majikmiker
    majikmiker Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I think it's a great idea! From what I understand, there will be regular contestants, with wiegh ins and playing the game and all that, but there will also be a few teens mixed in with the teams, that can't be eliminated, and don't participate in the wiegh ins etc. They are only there for weight loss and to learn and get their lives on track.

I don't have a problem with the Biggest Loser. Ya it doesn't work for everyone, but it's the same with any wieght loss routine. Different things work for different folks. I'm sure if I was able to take 5 or 6 months off and exercise with world famous trainers, dieticians and doctors I would have lost my 166 pounds even faster than I did.

It is just a TV show after all, but people get inspired by it, and that can lead to transforming people for the better! The comments about eating disorders etc just means you don't watch the show and know what it's about, and that's fine. You don't get it, but I'm sure there are people out there who do. Can't wait for January! Yaaaayyy...
  • Jay_Jay_
    Jay_Jay_ Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Read this if you want to know what Big Loser is all about, and you can read all about how your heroes Bob and Jillian have their contestants dehydrate themselves and go to such extremes that they develop eating disorders to win for their team. These trainers should be banned from the profession. Hell, Caroline Rhea was the only one to stand up for the contestants and she was sacked for it. http://www.bodylovewellness.com/2010/06/09/kai-hibbard-biggest-loser-finalist-part-1-of-3/ Great read.
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    Biggest loser is just one giant product placement now. They're trying to sell you yogurt, turkey, gum, all kinds of stupid products. Plus, they are setting way, way unrealistic expectations for weight loss.

This show makes me want to punch the producer right in the face.
  • majikmiker
    majikmiker Posts: 291 Member
    Options

It's fairly common practice now. By starting then, they avoid the issue of what to do over the holidays...either take a break and lose momentum/viewership or don't take a break and lose viewership. That's my theory, at least. I'm looking forward to the day when the concept of TV "seasons" is completely scrapped.

TBL actually had 2 seasons in one calendar year the one time. One started in late January like a week after the finale of the first one after Christmas. I read online that the producers were negotiating to bring JM back because there was alot of complaints about her couple of replacements sucking eggs ( Anna Kournikova and the other one I can't remember her name) but she didn't want to come back to the same old drama, and really wanted to do something about the rise of childhood obesity in America. Hence the arrival of teens on campus. :bigsmile: