wannabe runner

Options
So I am trying to get into running. I would love to run further but i am having a hard time running for long periods of time. what tips can you give me? any advice for a new runner but a fit person??? THANKS!

Replies

• Ke11yJo
    Ke11yJo Posts: 141
    Options
    Couch to 5K Program (C25K) .. there are smart phone apps as well. This is the program: http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml The apps are free.

This is the group on MFP that talks about it:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/47-couch-to-5k-running-program-c25k-

:flowerforyou:
  • jmach002
    jmach002 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    i have tried that program. although i know it works its not my favorite bc i can run for 7mins easily straight but its help i need getting past that.
  • Ke11yJo
    Ke11yJo Posts: 141
    Options
    Good Luck :)
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I always tell people the same thing. Just enjoy it and establish the habit!
    The miles will come. The endurance will come. The ability to push yourself will come. If you keep at it.
    If you push too hard early, and make it uncomfortable and a chore, you won't keep at it.
    Running can be very fun. It can be a way to socialize (when you run with friends). It can be meditative and contemplative (when you do it alone). It can be beautiful, in the seasons. And, it can be fulfilling, when you achieve your goals.
  • opus649
    opus649 Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    i have tried that program. although i know it works its not my favorite bc i can run for 7mins easily straight but its help i need getting past that.

Just start on week 5.
  • kmorris246
    kmorris246 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Just do what you can......... If you can run easily for 7 minutes, just push it up a few minutes each week, and before you know it, you'll be running the entire time :-)
  • runnermama81
    runnermama81 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I have been running for several years and I always feel like I want to quit for at least the first 10 minutes. If you can get past that you'll feel a second wind I promise!
  • timboom1
    timboom1 Posts: 762 Member
    Options

Slow down a bit and then run for a longer time. Don't worry about distance, just time, as you build endurance both time and distance will improve.