Exercise..not enough?

Options
Hi all,
wow, i am so glad i found this site, its great!!!

Anyway: i am currently exercising 4 days a week, for about an hour at a time. 20 mins on bikes, 20 mins on cross trainer, 1500 meters on rowing machine, 10 mins on weights.

Is this enough to lose weight and tone up a bit? If not, what should i do to maximise the hour that i have?

And realistically speaking, what is a sensible weight for my height (i am currently 10st 2lbs, and 5'6)?

Sorry for all the questions, but am making the most of finding this site!!

Replies

• aabelein
    aabelein Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Hi! for some one who is 5'6", like me, your goal weight should be between 118 and 159 pounds. check out this bmi calculator from webmd.com

http://www.webmd.com/diet/calc-bmi-plus

hope that helps! :drinker:
  • jurassicjim
    Options
    Sounds like a good amount of exercise to me, but obviously you have to have the right diet so as not to cancel your hard work out.

I do 30 mins a day, 5 days a week and that "feels" good for me, which is the most important thing.

jim
  • startfromscratch
    Options
    I would say so. I'm exercising 4 times a week for 30 minutes and I've lost a little weight and it's only been 2 weeks. Just be sure to keep it up and monitor for food intake as well. because that's just as important as exercise. Hope This Helps!
  • claire30
    claire30 Posts: 153
    Options
    Thanks for the replies you guys,
    althouh i know 142 lbs is within the healthy range for my height etc, i really dont feel at all comfortable at this size, as its the biggest i have ever been (apart from when i was pregnant).
    I guess its not so much the weight (although thats a big part of it), its more the fitness that i want to improve, as i can feel that i'm not at my best, or anywhere near my best!
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    It took me several years to learn this. But you cannot out excersise a bad diet.

Nutrition is 80% of your battle. So, to answer your original question, No. Having the proper nutrition will be the most effective way to reach your goals.

Not that excersise isn't important, but I think a lot of us focus too much on excersise when our efforts should be focused on eating correctly.
  • claire30
    Options
    HI,
    i have always eaten healthily, so its just my snacking that i have to get under control now. Iam getting tired of just having fruit for snacks, and as long as i do that, i think that the food and nutrition side of my lifestyle change, is fine.
    I dont fry any food,i eat wholemeal pasta/rice/cereals, i eat lots of fruit, veg, chicken, turkey, salad, soup, fish etc.
    I make sure myportion size isnt too big.
    i also coom 90% of my meals from scratch, and rarely (maybe one a week) treat myself to pizza (2 slices only).
  • startfromscratch
    Options
    Claire30, you really sound like you have a healthy diet and that combined with the exercise it's sure to get the weight off as long as you are consistent with it! It's all about being patient. I think that's what got me where I am now. I started to gain weight and when "diets" weren't working after a few days, I would quit and take up even worse eating habits, which lead to even more weight gain. Now, I know I've got to push myself to keep up the proper eating and exercise patterns if I want to see result. Moral of the story: You can do it!!! Good Luck on your Journey.
  • claire30
    Options
    Thanks startfromscratch,
    To be honst, i am not thining about this as a 'diet' as diets just dont work, i am thinking about it as a long term lifestyle instead.
    I am enjoying my food a lot more now, even the healthy stuff, as i am appreciating that it helps and feeds my body. i am (slowly) getting used to not eating the amount that i used to, especially in regards to the junk food (mainly chocolate and crisps)..i am sure it will take time to become 2nd nature, but i am feeling confident that i will get there in the end!
    Thanks so much for all the support!