Seeking low sugar, high protein convenient breakfasts

Options

Replies

• FabMrFox
    FabMrFox Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    there is no rule that you have to eat breakfast foods for breakfast. Grill a chicken breast the night before and just pull it out of the fridge in the morning. works for me.....course I'm a fox
  • possibri
    possibri Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    FYI: There are high-protein, no sugar bars called Think Thin. The chunky peanut butter (my favorite and "healthiest" from my perspective) have 20g protein, 8g fat, but only 1g fiber, so not the very best, but definitely an improvement on the Clif bar. At Trader Joe's here they're about 1.69 each, not sure if that is more or less than what you're currently paying, but it's a decent alternative IMO.

Aside from that I tend to make a hemp protein shake with frozen berries, flax meal, PB2, stevia, and unsweetened chocolate almond milk in the morning and the evening and that accounts for quite a bit of protein and fiber in my day. My diary is open if you want to see specifically what ingredients I use, how much of them, and what they provide if you're interested in it. Oh, and it only takes about 5 minutes to put together! =]
  • Fallonious
    Options
    Pancakes / smoothies, all nice but take too much time...

- Hard boiled eggs, can eat them at work with pepper.
    - Instant porridge, eat when you get to work. I have started to use Buckwheat flakes, splash of milk, sometime blueberries or honey. For extra protein, add some protein powder.
    - Toasted flaxseed or rye bread with cottage cheese or peanut butter
    - High protein low sugar muesli

Also, skip your latte and just have black.
  • kristenanna
    kristenanna Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Microwave Scrambled eggs, can add whatever to them to make them different :)
    I use to put on a piece on a piece of toast and can eat on the run (microwave scrambled eggs stick together better than normal ones)
  • yeshualovesme
    yeshualovesme Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Bumping because I want to make those pancakes!
  • zebisis
    zebisis Posts: 157
    Options
    I buy these: http://www.alfrescoallnatural.com/ in Jalapeno or Spinach and Feta. Jalapeno is 130 cals per link (they come 4 to a package). Low carb, no sugar, and super delicious.
    I microwave 1 at 35 seconds, slice into 1/4" to 1/3" slices, then cut up 1/2 oz to 1 oz of cheese (I like super spicy- so often I will do 1/4 oz to 1/2 oz of cabot habanero cheese with 1/4 oz to 1/2 oz of 50% light cabot cheddar cheese) and place on top of each sausage slice- then microwave again 25-35 seconds to melt the cheese. Sometimes I will eat them just like that- and sometimes I will eat them with a light omelette, scrambled eggs, or just toss those sliced sausage circles with melted cheese on a bed of baby spinach. Sprinkle salt (I like Himalayan Pink) and pepper and yum.
    Those Al Fresco Chicken Sausages have been super helpful for me on this journey.

I will also eat a protein bar (helps before workouts) or kippered snacks (herring- some may think these are gross, but I love them) instead for breakfast.
    I also love Atkins Advantage Strawberry shakes. 160 cal, easy to grab and go. 1 g sugar.

I make it a point to make a big 16-20 oz cup of tea in the AM that I have before anything else. I like Green Tea Chai, Bavarian Wild Berry, Black Tea Chai, Strawberry Black Tea (Aura Brand), and Caramel Vanilla Truffle. I put 1T of light cream in that big cup, and sweeten to taste with liquid sucralose (EZ Sweetz... I freaking love this stuff!!)
    The big cup of tea is really excellent to start with!
  • NikIsSkinny
    Options
    Warm coconut porridge - sounds strange, but is awesome
    1/2 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
    1-2 tablespoons nut butter (peanut butter, almond butter...whatever. I like using sunflower seed butter)
    6 tablespoons coconut milk or warm water
    1 tablespoon coconut water (optional - it has nice health benefits but isn't necessary)
    cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla extract to taste

Just mix it all together and pop in the microwave or on the stove top for a couple of minutes. You can also add fruit or honey if you want to sweeten it a little. I like mine with apples.
  • zebisis
    zebisis Posts: 157
    Options
    Warm coconut porridge - sounds strange, but is awesome
    1/2 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
    1-2 tablespoons nut butter (peanut butter, almond butter...whatever. I like using sunflower seed butter)
    6 tablespoons coconut milk or warm water
    1 tablespoon coconut water (optional - it has nice health benefits but isn't necessary)
    cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla extract to taste

Just mix it all together and pop in the microwave or on the stove top for a couple of minutes. You can also add fruit or honey if you want to sweeten it a little. I like mine with apples.

That sounds awesome!! I love sunbutter and coconut! Yum!!
  • Dreajewkes
    Options
    I thought these looked good they are Jennifer Esposito's Gluten-free blueberry walnut scones

Ingredients
    1/2 cup brown rice flour
    1/2 cup coconut flour
    1/2 cup sorghum flour
    1/2 cup tapioca starch
    1/2 tsp salt
    3/4 tsp xanthan gum
    1 tsp baking soda
    2 tsp baking powder
    1 tsp cinnamon
    2 tbsp canola oil
    1/2 tsp vanilla
    5 tbsp apple sauce
    1/2 banana
    2 tbsp maple syrup
    2 tbsp brown rice syrup
    1/3 cup soy, rice, almond or hemp milk
    1 cup blueberries
    1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
    Directions
    Preheat oven to 425° degrees.

Combine all dry ingredients except blueberries and walnuts in large mixing bowl, and whisk together to remove any lumps.

In separate bowl, combine all wet ingredients except milk, and mix with a standing mixer on medium speed until combined.

While stirring dry ingredients, add milk slowly to bowl. Alternate between stirring and pouring milk, until all of it has been emptied into the bowl.

Combine wet and dry ingredients and continue stirring in standing mixer until contents are evenly mixed. Fold nuts and blueberries into mixture.

Line double-baking pan with parchment paper, and spoon out mixture with tablespoon to make 20 scones. Brush tops with maple syrup and bake for 18 to 23 minutes.

http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/jennifers-esposito-gluten-free-blueberry-walnut-scones
  • caroldot
    caroldot Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I do a homemade healthy version of an "egg mcmuffin". At the beginning of the week, I scramble up a whole bunch of egg whites and then put in fridge so that saves me time each morning. I get the fully cooked turkey sausage & pop in microwave along with a portion eggs (equal to 3 scrambled) for about 30 seconds. I toast an english muffin and add pepper jack cheese. I wrap it in plastic wrap and by the time I get in the car, the cheese is all melty! I try to keep my b'fast cals around 250 and this goes higher - however - its loaded with protein which keeps me full and only 1 gram of sugar! I put it in my personal recipe builder and here's what it came up with:

3 scrambled egg whites
    1 english muffin
    1 turkey sausage patty (fully cooked)
    1 slice pepper jack cheese

311 cals / 29 carbs / 10g fat / 25g protein / 1g sugar
  • favrow812
    Options
    Quest protein bars are really good! My favorite is the apple pie!

http://www.questproteinbar.com/

They have 20 grams of protein per bar
  • TimmyT66
    Options
    Instant porridge oats microwaved 2 mins then mix in 1/2 scoop of chocolate protein powder

Tasty
  • amytag
    amytag Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Refrigerator oatmeal can be low sugar if you watch what you put in it (my favorite is pureed pumpkin and cinnamon) with chia seeds added for protein. These keep in the fridge for a week: http://www.theyummylife.com/Refrigerator_Oatmeal

Another good option is egg muffins: http://www.kalynskitchen.com/2006/10/egg-muffins-revisited-again.html
  • literatelier
    literatelier Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Bump for later...these are all great ideas. :)
  • kcb1027
    kcb1027 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Wow thank you guys for all these ideas!! This should definitely add some variety to my mornings :) THANK YOU!
  • WendySue67
    WendySue67 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have been LOVING these: http://www.theyummylife.com/breakfast_bread_pudding

Very good for you--and no sugar (other than what you choose to add for toppings) Bake 12 of the muffins at a time, then freeze them. Top with yogurt and berries the night before and put them in the fridge. Delicious!
  • mammiehorn
    mammiehorn Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ItsGoodToHaveGoals
    ItsGoodToHaveGoals Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    On Sunday I make a batch of Bob's Red Mill 10 grain cereal or steel cut oatmeal. I pre-portion it out and add berries and nuts to each portion. It's grab and go since I leave for work at 6 and just reheat when I get there.

In addition, I love the single serving low fat cheese sticks you can get (I get Sargento) and have that with an apple for a snack after my cereal.

If you make your own trail mix, you can load it full of what you like and control the amount of sugar by being smart on the fruits you choose and using no sugar added. I make ours with dehydrated fruit from our garden so there's not any additional sugar. Spending a little tme on Sunday to prepare for the week helps me out greatly.
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    My favorite breakfast is sliced fresh peaches on whole grain toast, and raw almond butter on a second slice of toast. When peaches are out of season, I use sliced strawberries or banana.