Gaining Muscles and # of Calories to Eat

Options
I am trying to figure out what I am doing wrong with calories. I still have about 10 lbs to lose before my goal, but I'm trying to just worry about gaining muscle to replace that fat. To gain muscle do I need to up my calorie intake and not have it as losing a lb or .5 lb but to gain .5 lb or 1 lb? Does this make sense. I haven't seen any change in the scale and have it at losing .5 lb. a week. I just want to start seeing more muscle definition and not have this layer of fat on top of it anymore. Anyone have suggestions on something I could try? I just got done with insanity and actually gained weight, which I hope is muscle. lol Going to start Asylum in a few weeks and then Turbo Fire. I also bike everywhere we need to go so I'm pretty active on my busy days.

Replies

• kentmac
    kentmac Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    A good place to start is setting your intake at your maintenance level. From there, adjust up if you're still losing weight too fast or down if you're gettin' a little pudgy (shouldn't happen with your activity level, though)

Also, strength training is you're friend! I don't know about the programs you listed, but if you're trying to build muscle, weights are your friend.

Best of luck, let me know if you have any problems along the way!

-K
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    You can't lose fat and build muscle at the same time. Opposite physiological processes. That's like trying to ride your bike backwards and forwards at the same time. To lose fat, you need to eat less than you burn. To gain muscle, you need to eat more than you burn. This is why people do "bulk" and "cut" cycles. Spend 3 months eating at a slight deficit while incorporating a good weight lifting routine like Stronglifts 5x5 or Starting Strength to lose fat, then spend 3 months eating at a slight surplus while continuing the weight lifting routine to add muscle. Repeat until you look the way you want.
  • fitmommapear
    fitmommapear Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Well doesn't muscle burn fat? Or am I wrong? Because if I focus on gaining muscle won't that help me lose that last bit of fat as well or will it just push out my fat and make me look bigger? I'm just curious. I have been using higher weights and have seen a tiny bit of change. I will set it at maintenance because I'm not super big, but still have a little pooch from having my baby girl. So I just want to tighten up more. I really appreciate the advice and if anyone else has advice or tips. I wouldn't mind getting some nice abs!
    Oh and one more question, should I eat back my workout calories, some, or none?
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    That's an old myth. A pound of fat burns about 3 calories a day. A pound of muscle burns about 6. Lose 10 pounds of fat, and gain 10 pounds of muscle, and your metabolism would change by about 30 calories a day. Completely insignificant, especially because it would take years to build 10 pounds of muscle.
  • fitmommapear
    fitmommapear Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I didn't know that.
  • GabyG69
    GabyG69 Posts: 213
    Options
    Thanks for posting this. I'm wondering what the cardio/strength training ratio should be to build muscle.. In other words, should I do less cardio and more strength training than I am doing now. I usually do about 40 minutes of cardio and 30-45 minutes of weights, 5 times a week.