PORTION CONTROL?

Options
Does anyone know the correct portion sizes?
How do you control your portions?
Any tips please?

Replies

• lizblizz2012
    lizblizz2012 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    For meat, the general rule of thumb is 4 oz. For most foods, I go by my palm. No bigger than a palm sized portion. Unless something is unusually higher or lower in calories, then I adjust accordingly. Also, presorting helps if you have time. Say you have a box of crackers. Instead of just reaching mindlessly into the box when you want some, portion them out ahead of time by putting a serving in little baggies, so you can grab a bag and eat without the hassle of counting while eating, and knowing how much you can consume. The bag way is a great way to prevent over-snacking. Just tell yourself that when the baggie is empty, no more snack. You can do this for veggies, fruits, etc and it's also pretty convenient for grab and go days. Just always know what you;re putting in your mouth. Don;t eat anything until you've checked what a serving size is and how many calories are in it. Good luck!
  • AlicynH
    AlicynH Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I actually know this. Meat is 2-4 oz, veggie and fruit is 1/2 cup each and bread serving is 1-2 oz. I work as a cook at a child care center and we have to follow the national nutrition guide. Typically what I will do is have the serving of a 6-12 year old. That 2 oz meat, 3/4 cup fruit and veggie together, and 1 oz bread. Of course I had gastric bypass almost 7 years ago and can't eat full servings.
  • sandobr1
    sandobr1 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Weighing and measuring, get a scale and measurung cups. If something is packaged like pasta it will tell you how much a serving is, ie 1/2 cup. So to control this portion when the pasta is cooked, measure out a serving for yourself and that would be your portion,record calories. Instead of making a pot of pasta and simply dumping it on your plate. Meat you can weigh for most lean meats are about 4 ounces to a serving, or about the size of a deck of cards. Baked potato, figure what size you might eat, weigh it and calculate calories, I think it is about 27 calories to potato including skin. If that 8 ounce potato is too many calories for your goals for the day, choose and weigh a smaller potato. I have multiple sets of measure cups and teaspoons and use them constantly, getting comfy and eyeballing leads to larger portions.
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    I use a food scale mostly and a measuring cup occasionally. If I have to eat out then I approximate but I try to undereat if I'm eating out and overestimate the calories just incase.
  • jensfitpal2012
    jensfitpal2012 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I go by the palm of my hand,about 4 0z. for meat.1/2 cup for vegetables,pasta,or rice.I fI snack,I go by counting out 1 suggested serving on package.Good luck!:)
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I bought a little scale...It's right next to my spot at the dinner table...If I'm in doubt, I weigh it. No guessing.
  • withchaco
    withchaco Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I bought a little scale...It's right next to my spot at the dinner table...If I'm in doubt, I weigh it. No guessing.
    Same here. It's surprising how two same-looking pieces of meat (or whatever) often have totally different weights.

Measuring cups and spoons are useful for liquids, but for solid foods they can be very inaccurate. The food scale is the way to go.