Plates and pins in my arm... have them removed?

Options
Has anyone ever had or heard of someone having plates removed after the bones grow back? I have two in my left arm, after a nasty open fracture... then both bones slowly grew, one not growing back at all , so I had bone from my knee and donor bone put in my arm, finally it took. But I feel like they are grinding down on my bones when I try to do strength exercises. Not sure if grinding is really the word... But there is a pressure I don't feel with my other arm. Want more than anything to get rid of my bat wing arm fat. But scared..when I start feeling pain, I back off. it's been about 7 months since my last "cleared" doc visit. Also scared to have a third surgery on my arm. My doc mentioned being willing to remove them if I felt it would help the chronic pain. Right now on a normal day it's nothing more than tylenol worthy pain. Some days are a whole other ball game. I can't help but wonder though if it would be beneficial to have them removed. Thoughts?

Replies

• kaj44
    kaj44 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    my daughter had to have her plates and screw removed because of the pain they were causing, and once they were removed the doctor found out that the plates/screws were actually causing a major irritation due to her having an allergic reaction to them inside of her arm. Since then...........................no pain.........................:wink:
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I shattered my knee joint and they put it together with pins. After about a year it kept getting more and more sore no matter what I did. I had the pins removed (20 minutes under light anesthetic) and found out they were starting to work their way out and causing the equivalent of a blister on the muscle over top of them. I was able to walk out of the hospital so I wouldn't worry too much about having it done.