sweeteners

Options
Anyone else start to develop intolerance for artificial sweeteners? I struggle w/ diet pops, fat free yogurts, coffee w/ anything but black or real sugar. I never used to - but have increasing reactions to them. I ate a fat free Yoplait and was so hungry I finished it but now I have a headache and it makes my stomach empty quickly but then be un-easy (no gas or recognized other digestive ailments - but enough that I ate something else to rid myself of the feeling). And it doesn't matter the sweetener - Aspartimine is the worst, but splenda and stevia do it too now. Anyone else?

Replies

• catinohio
    catinohio Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Definitely stay away from aspartame.
  • amykluver
    amykluver Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    One additional strange note is that apples do a similar thing - no headache - but they empty my stomach very quickly and I'm famished in a short time later unless I eat something with them (caramel dip, PB, etc). Too simple of food that it digests so quickly???
  • Kristin2984
    Options
    i cant stand artificial sweeteners. yuck. I cant believe I used to drink diet coke. I gave it up bc it was too much money (yeah I was pretty broke) but now I cant stand the taste.
    Im not sure why the apple would have that reaction. I tried a raw food diet once and my vegan friend told me my body was probably not going to be able to handle it. I thought she meant my willpower but seriously, I felt ill after just one day of being totally raw food. So maybe it is hard for your body to digest raw. Maybe your body just isnt used to it. I can drink coffee in the mornign on an empty stomach but hot tea makes me so sick. and only in the morning. Who knows?!
  • Pimpmonkey
    Options
    Definitely stay away from aspartame.

That stuff has the nastiest after-taste and gives me a horrible headache.
  • lbrittenson
    lbrittenson Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    It makes me feel super bloated, but Ive just used it as a way to stay away from that stuff. I still drink diet 7 up, about a half a can a day.