Why You Shouldn’t Eat Back Exercise Calories

Options
I found this article very interesting. I normally eat back calories but after reading this http://ifitwasnteasy.tumblr.com/post/21174832957/why-you-shouldnt-eat-back-exercise-calories and comparing it to the past weightloss, I tend to agree with most points. How about you? What works for you?

Replies

• xxbookwormbabexx
    xxbookwormbabexx Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Interesting! I don't usually eat back my exercise calories simply because I would be too full haha.
  • ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    please note that the author says:
    My general level of exercise is already reflected in my choice of an activity level multiplier, so if I ate back my exercise calories I would be eating them twice!
    so this author IS "eating back" her calories - she's just calculating the average number of exercise calories burned per day and adding them to her calorie goal rather than calculating the specific number burned on each separate day

you can do this on MFP by bumping up your activity level or manually changing your calorie goal settings.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    If anyone cares, these are some of my thoughts on the subject:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/why-i-don-t-count-exercise-calories-114873
  • snowfox1
    snowfox1 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    bump
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    a) this is a blog post on someone's tumblr, not an article

b) they are describing a tdee-based approach to calorie deficits which is a perfectly good approach (and in fact the one i follow)

But comparing this to MFP is sort of apples and oranges. The MFP calorie target is not TDEE; it's an estimate of daily activity sans exercise; therefore when following the MFP calorie target, one SHOULD eat back the exercise calories.

So, pick one - Eat a flat TDEE sans deficit; or Eat the MFP target + exercise calories. You don't mix and match both.

If you go by the MFP number and don't "eat back exercise calories", then you're doing it wrong.
  • LisaLouisiana
    LisaLouisiana Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I eat a VERY healthy high protein, high fiber diet and I do not eat my exercise calories back.
  • joehempel
    joehempel Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options

If you go by the MFP number and don't "eat back exercise calories", then you're doing it wrong.

And yet I still lose weight...how am I wrong?
  • HeatherPH
    HeatherPH Posts: 125 Member
    Options

b) they are describing a tdee-based approach to calorie deficits which is a perfectly good approach (and in fact the one i follow)

But comparing this to MFP is sort of apples and oranges. The MFP calorie target is not TDEE; it's an estimate of daily activity sans exercise; therefore when following the MFP calorie target, one SHOULD eat back the exercise calories.

So, pick one - Eat a flat TDEE sans deficit; or Eat the MFP target + exercise calories. You don't mix and match both.

Well, according to this dude (who's a registered dietician and PT), you're wrong:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/755899-registered-dietitian-in-tx-here-to-answer-questions

Tony specifically recommends that people go by their MFP limits AND not each back their exercise calories (individual cases permitting).
  • zaph0d
    Options

And yet I still lose weight...how am I wrong?

Oh you'll still lose weight. You're just obfuscating your calorie deficit. This may lead to stalling, poor performance, muscle loss. Or you might just lose weight faster. Roll the dice baby.
  • zaph0d
    Options

Well, according to this dude (who's a registered dietician and PT), you're wrong:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/755899-registered-dietitian-in-tx-here-to-answer-questions

Tony specifically recommends that people go by their MFP limits AND not each back their exercise calories (individual cases permitting).

LOL. Yes, it's clear that Tony knows better how MFP works than MFP's developers and staff. :laugh:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/help/faq/3-how-does-myfitnesspal-work
  • RmYWarrioR
    RmYWarrioR Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Well, Everyone is different. I eat back a portion of my workout calories to keep my body from eating itself. I want to lose FAT not MUSCLE. I find for me eating healthy and eating relatively healthy snacks with a few bad food choices tossed in here and there, I am maintaining around 185 pounds +/- 3 depending on the day of the week and how I am exercising. You can read all the articles you want but, until you experiment and find out the formula which works best for you .............................. one can never truly know what is right and wrong.
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately some people just don't get how MFP works. Follow MFP and eat your cals back or follow some other method and don't eat your exercise cals back. Whatever works for you is ok.
  • MikesterAZ
    MikesterAZ Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    My general level of exercise is already reflected in my choice of an activity level multiplier, so if I ate back my exercise calories I would be eating them twice!
    so this author IS "eating back" her calories - she's just calculating the average number of exercise calories burned per day and adding them to her calorie goal rather than calculating the specific number burned on each separate day

you can do this on MFP by bumping up your activity level or manually changing your calorie goal settings.

Very astute, and accurate!!
  • MikesterAZ
    MikesterAZ Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I don't think of it as "eating them back" I just go by what it says and stay above zero. I found a balance between exercise and food to where I don't feel hungry or deprived and it's working out to healthy weight loss so what else can you ask for? I mean if you want a stringent, structured plan you are going to need a trainer anyway. This site is basically amateurs helping amateurs with the occasionally bonus of having some pro's join in the fun. But they are also here for social networking-style encouragement, none of us are here to be health nazis (at least I hope not!!) so chill out and have fun with it. This isn't a diet boot camp it's a fitness website.
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options

LOL. Yes, it's clear that Tony knows better how MFP works than MFP's developers and staff. :laugh:

Tony is a registered dietitian. Does the MFP staff have any doctors or Dietitians on their staff other then the computer programmers that made the app for my smartphone?
  • krae84
    krae84 Posts: 17 Member
    Options

I agree. I eat 1600 calories regarless of whether i exercise or not. if i know for sure that i cannot exercise i will hold back to 1500. i had been eating back all of my exercise calories in the past and lost for a while but soon my metabolism slowed down and i stopped losing all together. I think u need to decide what your basing your calorie intake on to determine whether to eat them back. I figured my 1600 cal based on the IN PLACE OF A ROAD MAP article. It's made a huge difference for me for the better.
  • ihateroses
    ihateroses Posts: 893 Member
    Options
    Oh come on...its simple math!!!

If you ate 1200 (most people get this as a recommendation) , and burned 200 with exercise, you are only working with 1000 measly calories to get you through the day.

1000 calories a day is not healthy...for anyone...(and don't you dig on the internet to prove me wrong with a 1%-er case!)
  • birdieaz
    birdieaz Posts: 448 Member
    Options

Tony is a registered dietitian. Does the MFP staff have any doctors or Dietitians on their staff other then the computer programmers that made the app for my smartphone?

I will never understand why people on this board cling so desperately to ultra low calories..no wonder 90% will gain all the weight back. It's unsustainable...yeah yeah I know...special snowflake and all that jazz....
  • Pimpmonkey
    Options
    I don't think of it as "eating them back" I just go by what it says and stay above zero. I found a balance between exercise and food to where I don't feel hungry or deprived and it's working out to healthy weight loss so what else can you ask for? I mean if you want a stringent, structured plan you are going to need a trainer anyway. This site is basically amateurs helping amateurs with the occasionally bonus of having some pro's join in the fun. But they are also here for social networking-style encouragement, none of us are here to be health nazis (at least I hope not!!) so chill out and have fun with it. This isn't a diet boot camp it's a fitness website.

THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options

I will never understand why people on this board cling so desperately to ultra low calories..no wonder 90% will gain all the weight back. It's unsustainable...yeah yeah I know...special snowflake and all that jazz....

This topic has nothing to do with VLCD. It's about eating back exercise calories... L2R