Carb loading and water weight

Options
Hi everyone,
So I usually keep a lower carb diet strictly. Not because im all about the low carb fad but because it actually makes me feel better in the long run

however, this weekend I ran a half marathon. I had a huge carb-load session the day before and then kept good nutrition during the race (simple sugars) and then had a bit of a cheat day after thinking that after burning 2k calories i could basically eat anything i wanted.

shockingly, the day after my race i had gained almost 8 lbs!

Is this attributable to water weight? did i just overdo it and seriously gain that much back?

I am kind of shocked about this as i have been doing amazingly well on my own, without calorie conting, and was able to keep my weight steady (between 172-175) for 2 months.

Any advice would be great as im getting really down about this,

Thanks

Replies

• Jessb1985
    Jessb1985 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    From what I understand also when you train your muscles hard they hold in extra water/glycogen as they're inflammed and trying to recover themselves.

I wouldn't worry too much and see how your weight goes over the next few days.

Congrats on the half marathon :)
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    From what I understand also when you train your muscles hard they hold in extra water/glycogen as they're inflammed and trying to recover themselves.

I wouldn't worry too much and see how your weight goes over the next few days.

Congrats on the half marathon :)

I agree - and this sort of water retention can take 5-8 days to go away.
  • joehempel
    joehempel Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    You didn't eat 28000 calories. So you didn't really gain 8lbs.
  • ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    It's just water; it'll go away this week! It happens to almost everyone after a hard long race, even if you don't carb load or have a big cheat meal after.
  • HolleeERL
    HolleeERL Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Probably a lot of water, but maybe some muscle fat you gained during the run. The longer runs help you build and store muscle fat which isn't a bad thing if you want to keep running endurance races - you need that. If you're all about the number, then back off the running for a couple of days and you should see the weight come off. Keep drinking your water, too. I just finished my first full marathon and am the heaviest I've been in a long while. I thought for sure I would lose more, but the muscle fat kept the pounds on. That's okay with me since I am more concerned about the way my body looks and performs rather than a number on a scale. (ask me about that later!) :o)
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    I usually carb load before a race for 3-4 days and gain about 4-5 lbs in that time. They usually come of within 2-3 days of cutting calories again. Just make sure you recover from the race and get back to your usual routine. I'm sure they'll leave as quick as they arrived.
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options

^^^ This.

Give it about a week and I'm sure you'll go back to your normal weight, possibly even lower.
  • konerusp
    konerusp Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    my husband has been up 8 pounds after his marathon until 2 weeks later.The body just needs time to repair and get back to normal.Dont stress on the scale weight for a little while.
  • ToughTulip
    ToughTulip Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Probably a lot of water, but maybe some muscle fat you gained during the run. The longer runs help you build and store muscle fat which isn't a bad thing if you want to keep running endurance races - you need that. If you're all about the number, then back off the running for a couple of days and you should see the weight come off. Keep drinking your water, too. I just finished my first full marathon and am the heaviest I've been in a long while. I thought for sure I would lose more, but the muscle fat kept the pounds on. That's okay with me since I am more concerned about the way my body looks and performs rather than a number on a scale. (ask me about that later!) :o)

muscle fat? :huh:
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Water weight. Carb loading is hilarious. Doing UD2.0 now, and will drop from ~140 to low 130's between carb load and glycogen depletion. Good times.
  • wackyfunster
    Options

It's really strong fat. Why do you think powerlifters look so fat? [/broscience]
  • pants77
    pants77 Posts: 185 Member
    Options

Well, he gained 8 pounds of something.

My money is on water and poo.
  • joehempel
    joehempel Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options

Well, he gained 8 pounds of something.

My money is on water and poo.

My point is that it's imaginary. It's not 8lbs of crap (no pun intended LOL)
  • michellekicks
    Options

It's really strong fat. Why do you think powerlifters look so fat? [/broscience]

^ This. :drinker:
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I don't know what is worse, your comment OR the picture of the guy with the iPad?
  • mccbabe1
    mccbabe1 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,
    So I usually keep a lower carb diet strictly. Not because im all about the low carb fad but because it actually makes me feel better in the long run

however, this weekend I ran a half marathon. I had a huge carb-load session the day before and then kept good nutrition during the race (simple sugars) and then had a bit of a cheat day after thinking that after burning 2k calories i could basically eat anything i wanted.

shockingly, the day after my race i had gained almost 8 lbs!

Is this attributable to water weight? did i just overdo it and seriously gain that much back?

I am kind of shocked about this as i have been doing amazingly well on my own, without calorie conting, and was able to keep my weight steady (between 172-175) for 2 months.

Any advice would be great as im getting really down about this,

Thanks

dude.. you just rant a HALF MARATHON!!!!!!!!!!! and your thinking you gained a 'real' 8 pounds.. umm no you could freakin eat big macs for two days straight and maintain after that kinda exercise.. lol.. heres a link/blog i found online.. this dude gained 10#'s after his half marathon!

http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/Forum4/HTML/010150.shtml
  • withchaco
    withchaco Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options

I think they mean intramuscular fat, i.e. the difference between a skinless chicken breast and a skinless chicken thigh. I don't think it's possible to gain fat of ANY kind (intramuscular or otherwise) without matching caloric surplus, though...?
  • wackyfunster
    Options

I think they mean intramuscular fat, i.e. the difference between a skinless chicken breast and a skinless chicken thigh. I don't think it's possible to gain fat of ANY kind (intramuscular or otherwise) without matching caloric surplus, though...?
    Except for the magic fat you get from eating after 7PM: no matter how much you eat, you will gain at least 3 pounds. Guaranteed.
  • michellekicks
    Options
    Or if you eat breakfast... no, wait... I mean if you don't eat breakfast.
  • JBHawaii
    Options
    Thanks eveyone. really helpfull. I'll take this gain to be normal and see what happend over the next few days,

signed,

the guy with the ipad... lol... douche @fitnesssocial