How does alcohol factor into weight loss?

Options
1235»

Replies

• MaigreKacie
    MaigreKacie Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Wow! Thanks for all the responses! I won't be cutting it out completely but I'll cut back and make sure I compensate for it.
  • kailawilkerson87
    Options
    i only read a few replies but Ill tell you one thing Alcohol (specially mixers) have a **** ton of SUGAR! so not just calories like everyone (well that i read) said. Calories factor but alcohol has alot of sugar. Unless you drink like bacardi and coke zero, then no calories (dont remember while bacardi) but you have to find things like that if you dont wanna gain weight :)
  • witchy_wife
    witchy_wife Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Wow! Thanks for all the responses! I won't be cutting it out completely but I'll cut back and make sure I compensate for it.

And if you are in a club.... dance the night away. Dancing can burn up to like 200 cals for 30 minutes, so as far as calorie consumption goes, you can offset some of it. The bad sleep, hang over food etc is a different issue lol.
  • GomesDavid
    Options
    I like to drink on the weekends, sometimes on Thursdays. There I said it. Not alone or during the day or anything but in good company. I'm in college after all....What I want to know is, how much can I get away with and still lose weight? Should I limit my calorie intake before or after drinking? And are alcohol calories very different from food calories? I'd appreciate advice!

Hi there,

Alcohol is metabolized differently than other foods and beverages. Under normal conditions, your body gets its energy from the calories in carbohydrates, fats and proteins, which are slowly digested and absorbed within the gastrointestinal system. However, this digestive process changes when alcohol is present. When you drink alcohol, it gets immediate attention (because it is viewed by the body as a toxin) and needs no digestion.

On an empty stomach, the alcohol molecules diffuse through the stomach wall quickly and can reach the brain and liver in minutes. This process is slower when you have food in your stomach, but as soon as that food enters the small intestine, the alcohol grabs first priority and is absorbed quickly into the bloodstream.

Thanxs
  • GomesDavid
    Options
    I've heard all sorts of mixed things about the effects of alcohol on weight gain/loss so I won't try to speak to that. However, I can say from experience that I eat more crap when I've been drinking, for sure.

Hello,
    Alcohol is a diuretic, meaning that it causes water loss and dehydration. Along with this water loss you lose important minerals, such as magnesium, potassium, calcium and zinc. These minerals are vital to the maintenance of fluid balance, chemical reactions, and muscle contraction and relaxation.

Alcohol contains 7 calories per gram and offers NO nutritional value. It only adds empty calories to your diet. ...We have to ask ourself that Why not spend our calorie budget on something healthier?:(
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options

And if you are in a club.... dance the night away. Dancing can burn up to like 200 cals for 30 minutes, so as far as calorie consumption goes, you can offset some of it. The bad sleep, hang over food etc is a different issue lol.

Yup! That's how i used to get away from it! My hips have been revolting awhile, so that has not helped. Now that they're better
    I plan on going all out Halloween weekend!