Low fat plain yogurt

Options
I bought some the dannon natural which im sure isnt as good as an organic brand but hoping it will suffice for the time being (the store was out of everything last night for some reason), i had some today with some frozen mixed berries i defrosted and yuck...i added a lil organic honey and it helped some but it still just tasted bad to me but i choked it down, any tips on making it taste better without defeating the purpose of buying natural plain yogurt?

Replies

• lwest008
    lwest008 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Do you let the berries melt? Or try unsweetened frozen blueberries and mix them in the yogurt really well (after they have melted). I find the blueberry juice and blueberries makes plain yogurt taste just sweet enough.
  • lazygirllosesweight
    Options
    What did it taste like? A little bitter / tart? That's how it's supposed to taste. I personally love the taste of natural yogurt without all the sugar and such.

Maybe it just takes a little getting used to?
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    I buy dannon light and fit vanilla yogurt. Only 80cal for a small cup.... mix that with your berries. It tastes alot better. BTW... its best if you mix it up the night before... this helps your berries to mix with the yogurt a little.
  • PrimalB
    PrimalB Posts: 12
    Options
    i'd try to stay away from the "light and fit" or lowfat/fat-free flavored yogurts because of the artificial sweeteners and HFCS.

try adding some cinnamon. on weight lifting days, i throw in some chocolate protein powder. it doesn't help if you're looking for a low-calorie fix, but it is delicious and high in protein.

also, try the full fat yogurt. it has a creamier, rich taste.
  • leeslim4life
    leeslim4life Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I use the same kind of Non fat Plain yogurt!!! I make a parfait out of it. I add in 2 tablespoon of thawed out blueberries, a tablespoon of diced walnuts & a pinch of granola!!! I do the same with thawed or fresh strawberries!!!! So good!!!
  • selmacotto
    Options
    I love plain yogurt with some garlic, a touch of salt and some shredded cucumber. Think tzatziki sauce, but not. It goes in the opposite direction from your sweet snack, but it's delicious.
  • wks7777
    wks7777 Posts: 230
    Options
    I use the same kind of Non fat Plain yogurt!!! I make a parfait out of it. I add in 2 tablespoon of thawed out blueberries, a tablespoon of diced walnuts & a pinch of granola!!! I do the same with thawed or fresh strawberries!!!! So good!!!
    I will try some walnuts in it that sounds delish!
  • wks7777
    Options
    yeah i was trying to but they literally were out of all the organic yogurts so i figured id try that. i need to get some choc protein powder that would be good!
    i'd try to stay away from the "light and fit" or lowfat/fat-free flavored yogurts because of the artificial sweeteners and HFCS.

try adding some cinnamon. on weight lifting days, i throw in some chocolate protein powder. it doesn't help if you're looking for a low-calorie fix, but it is delicious and high in protein.

also, try the full fat yogurt. it has a creamier, rich taste.
  • jzbaby626
    jzbaby626 Posts: 466
    Options
    i use it to make smoothies for breakfast, but thats about 300 calories.
  • wks7777
    Options
    Do you let the berries melt? Or try unsweetened frozen blueberries and mix them in the yogurt really well (after they have melted). I find the blueberry juice and blueberries makes plain yogurt taste just sweet enough.
    i defrosted them..it didnt taste swee enough to me but maybe i didnt put enough berries in there? this is the first time i have tried it so it might just take me getting used to it, like it did me a few times to get used to making my own oatmeal without sugar.
  • wks7777
    Options
    a lil, but thats not what bothered me the yogurt itself just wasnt very good to me, i may need to try another brand!
    What did it taste like? A little bitter / tart? That's how it's supposed to taste. I personally love the taste of natural yogurt without all the sugar and such.

Maybe it just takes a little getting used to?
  • wks7777
    Options
    the only time i have ever had something like this was at mcdonalds there fruit and yogurt parfiat and i thoguht it was really good...maybe they used vanilla yogurt? i will have to try it!
    I buy dannon light and fit vanilla yogurt. Only 80cal for a small cup.... mix that with your berries. It tastes alot better. BTW... its best if you mix it up the night before... this helps your berries to mix with the yogurt a little.
  • wks7777
    Options
    hmm thats interesting i wouldnt have thought to do that, do u eat it with anything or just like that?
    I love plain yogurt with some garlic, a touch of salt and some shredded cucumber. Think tzatziki sauce, but not. It goes in the opposite direction from your sweet snack, but it's delicious.
  • jmenew
    jmenew Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Ever consider Plain lowfat greek yogurt? I find it so much better. It's thicker and smoother.
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,350 Member
    Options
    Oh, Greek yogurt! I have some, and I think I've died and gone to heaven. The Oikos brand seems to be lower in calories, not sure why. Many times I'll buy the Chobani plain and add some honey. If you've never had greek yogurt before, try Oikos strawberry or blueberry or one of the flavored yogurts. Oikos you have to mix up. Now for some reason I'm not crazy about the Fage brand. Greek yogurt is high in protein, too
  • mammakisses
    mammakisses Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    When I buy plain yogourt I use it to dip my fruits into instead. But I think I will look for some greek yogourt next time.
  • selmacotto
    Options
    You can eat it with pita bread, or just by itself. You can even use it as a sauce. I'm not a fan of eggplant, but I'll eat it with this as a sauce. =)
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    If you're looking for something as sort of a treat... I also make an apple salad.... vanilla yogurt, cut up granny smith and red delicious (sweet and tart) apples... throw in some coconut (just a little... high in calories!) and some nuts (whatever you have around) and just a few marshmallows. Yum!

This is a good alternative to your run of the mill dessert... healthy and yummy.
  • melissaovadare
    melissaovadare Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I started a thread about this yesterday......I heard Greek yogurt is better........try to find it and you can read some suggestions on that thrread as well....I hate plain yogurt...I think it is so disgusting!!!