Need more rest days?

Options
Do you think rest days are an essential part of a fitness program or do you think it is possible to push through and work out every day?

My plan was to do a mix of 30 day shred and C25K on alternate days Mon – Sat and then have a rest day on a Sunday. But come round to Sunday I usually have so much to do it’s not such a rest day. Cleaning the kitchen, cleaning bathroom, vacuuming the stairs, changing beds, taking kids to park etc etc. I usually don’t sit down for more than an hour during the day on a Sunday (and Saturday too really). I work full time during the week and do my workouts at 5am before work.

I generally feel really well after working out and having a shower, but lately I have started feeling rubbish on a night. I’m not sleeping well and keep waking up during the night and not able to get back to sleep, I wake up with a banging headache which usually goes away once I exercise and have something to eat and drink. I feel good on a morning after my exercise but as the day goes on I am feeling shattered.

My hubby thinks I am maybe doing too much. I still weigh over 200lbs so am not some slim healthy woman used to exercising, but in spite of eating a calorie defecit I have only lost maybe 1.5lbs in 3 weeks (still happy with the loss) but do you think I would actually benefit from a couple more rest days with no exercise or would it be safe to try and push through and carry on as I am? (obviously I know you all aren’t doctors but just what would you do please?)

Replies

• whitejessamine
    Options
    How much are you drinking? Eating? That sounds like I get when I'm not eating and drinking enough...especially with that exercise, you'll need to eat more, and probably take in about 3 quarts of water/other non-calorie, non-caffeinated drinks daily. If your sodium intake is too high, that could also cause it, or low magnesium...it doesn't sound to me like exercise is the culprit, since it's making you feel better.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I think rest days are important. Not a medical opinion - just a practical one.
    I suggest that you try a rest day in the middle of the week and see how you feel after a couple of weeks.
    And, as the previous poster suggestions, make sure you are eating and drinking enough - you need to fuel all that working out as well as your busy life.
  • witchy_wife
    witchy_wife Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your replies. I have MFP set to lose 1lb a week and it gives me 1550 cals a day and I usually eat back at least half of my exercise calories so most days am eating around 1700 - 1800 calories. I'll try adding a mid day rest from exercise, I think it sounds like a good idea to start with thanks.

Drinks wise I am at about 1.5 litres of plain water and usually 2-3 cups of tea. So maybe I could try dropping one cup of tea and switching for more plain water? I've never tracked magnesium, I don't even know what it is in or how much I should have. Guess I should look in to that a bit more, thanks!