What's the worst time for you and how do you take control?

aalpass
aalpass Posts: 124 Member
Terrible disgusting binge day!

Felt like crap - tired and like i was getting sick. My solution? Wagged the gym and went into a binge session to make me feel better.

All my cravings are now satisfied though. I dont keep crap in the house and actually took a trip to the supermarket solely to buy chocolate, wine and kfc. This ALWAYS seems to happen halfway through my monthly cycle. It feels out of my control. Tomorrow is a new day and will shine with discipline but there's not taking back today.

Do you have a particularly bad time? A lot of people experience these kind of cravings with PMS but mines right smack bang in the middle. Anyone else have this problem?

How do you beat it?

Replies

• jenlouise4
    jenlouise4 Posts: 48 Member
    When I get anxious or really stressed I just instantly crave chocolate or junk food- the things that goes through my head is kind of "oh, it'll be fine, you need this" so it's tough to stop myself!
    The best way for me is to have a large cup of tea, as the water fills you up and find something crunchy if I'm still hungry- I know it's cliche but carrot sticks or celery are kind of unlimited snacks. If I'm super hungry I'll go for something rich in protein like scrambled eggs or tuna and then you feel full quicker.
    It's difficult though, and sometimes I treat myself anyway. This is a lifestyle change after all, not a diet, and I've just got to learn to moderate myself.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Yes, I have the same thing over TOM.

Tbh, to 'take control', I just have a bit of what I fancy. It stops my cravings, makes me happy and then I get straight back on it the next day. We all fall off the bandwagon every now and then, the trick is to get back on it and not feel guilty.
  • bacamacho
    bacamacho Posts: 306 Member
    About a week before that TOM, I have horrible cravings for salt and sugar, and I'm also an emotional eater, so it's tough! I have to make sure I plan my meals. I make sure to bring my lunch to work, and make dinners on time so I don't make excuses to take the kids out to eat. Most of the time it works. When it's hectic, it's tougher.
  • aalpass
    aalpass Posts: 124 Member
    I'm almost happy that yesterday happened now. I got it all out of my system and today I've started out strong and had the best gym session in a long time, burning off at least half of yesterdays binge session!

Jenlouise4 I like the concept of being able to eat healthy foods to satisfy cravings but its not about hunger its about the psychological. I will sit there and say to myself "This is not the healthy lifestyle I have chosen, this will not lead me to where I want to be" as I shove whatever the chosen crap food into my mouth. I could eat protein, veggies and all things good until the cows come home but i'll still want whatever the craving is. So i figure instead of the lean healthy dinner I have the bag of marshmallows or the chocolate bar so at least i dont have all the calories from dinner AND the craving food calories.

I'm justifying my binge now! I don't condone it but i accept that its happened. Today was a great day. Onwards and upwards. To infinity and beyond!
  • candiceprov31
    candiceprov31 Posts: 21 Member
    I have the same symptoms of PMS during ovulation.... sometimes worse. Fun fun!!
  • victorious27
    victorious27 Posts: 250 Member
    When I'm stressed I eat the heck out of chips and chocolate, or pretzel m&ms. The sweet/salt combo just makes me feel better.

Usually I don't try to beat it. I just have my day and go on with it. If it's really bothering me, I just exercise until I feel better about the bad things I've eaten, lol
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    The only way I found around this is to force myself into gym clothes and to the gym before I get a chance to act on it, to be honest. If I take time off from working out, I am a goner, especially just before my TOM, and it can lead to days of binge eating. I never crave the salty things, just sugar and cream.