Weight watchers or My Fitness Pal?

Options
I have tried both and managed to lose but not sure which is best?? I have a gold membership with WW now but prob could of done to lose a few more lbs... Recently i have put so much weight back on with just having a bad few weeks so wanted to give it a go again!

Just wondered from other peoples experiences what works best? xx

Replies

• SarahCW1979
    SarahCW1979 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Weight Watchers teaches you how to fiddle 'points' and microwave ready meals.
    MFP teaches you about healthy balanced eating and portion control, along with the motivation you gain from the boards, advice from the seasoned oldbies in regards to calories, macros and exercise.
    Its a no-brainer :flowerforyou:
  • fstephanie4
    fstephanie4 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I lost a lot of weight with WW very quickly. However, the moment I started 'neglecting' the points or having no time to go to weigh-ins I put on just as quickly and was almost back to square one.

I then started MFP. I was very reluctant because I didnt want to be one of those obsessive, calorie counting girls you see on TV shows but I thought I'd try it and see how I got on.

I haven't lost the weight as quickly...I still have about a stone to go. BUT!!!! I feel healthier with MFP and I believe that if I have a lapse day (or two) I won't put on as much weight as MFP. I find it easier to understand (I hate WW's point system) and I enjoy eating whatever I like as I felt very restricted with WW.

I don't know if that helps, or makes sense. But as I have been on both I would honestly say MFP has helped me more with confidence and exercise etc, despite the slower weight loss.

:happy: Good luck :happy:
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    I think its funny that so many people ask this question on MFP. It's like logging on to a Ford enthusiast forum and saying; 'what's better, Fords or Renaults?'

WW is good in it's own way, but it encourages you to buy processed ready-meals that may be low in calories but have virtually no nutritional value. Also, it's expensive and the portion sizes are fit for a child.

Stay with MFP and it will teach you a healthy way of living, not just point counting.
  • jaimeteague
    jaimeteague Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    MFP teaches you about healthy balanced eating and portion control, along with the motivation you gain from the boards, advice from the seasoned oldbies in regards to calories, macros and exercise.

^ This!
    I did ww over and over again to no avail, I'd lose then regain constantly. MFP is about learning a healthier approach to food, it's a lifestyle choice for me!
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    I think its funny that so many people ask this question on MFP. It's like logging on to a Ford enthusiast forum and saying; 'what's better, Fords or Renaults?'

WW is good in it's own way, but it encourages you to buy processed ready-meals that may be low in calories but have virtually no nutritional value. Also, it's expensive and the portion sizes are fit for a child.

Stay with MFP and it will teach you a healthy way of living, not just point counting.

Great post on all 3 counts.

WW is still "going on a diet". MFP is a lifestyle change.

If I may be a bit *****y: the group leaders in WW classes aren't really people I'd listen to for advice on losing weight. I might as well listen to a tramp for financial advice.</handbags>
  • okidoki7
    okidoki7 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    personally i think the best plan for you is one you can stick to long term and lets you eat in a manageable, healthy way....

im sure there are plenty of people who count calories and still eat ready meals, i for one NEVER eat ready meals regardless of which plan i follow, personally i dont have time time in my life to count macros,and im pretty ok with knowing the right balance for myself, we're all different and have different needs...do what feels right for you !!
  • lambstew
    Options
    I went to Slimming World and got to target twice - but put it on again. I love MFP because finally I am taking control. No cheating, by them or me (just being honest with myself). It is very simple - what you put in minus what you burn. My responsibility, my gained knowledge of real portions. My sense of achievement as I am doing it! MFP all the way!
  • lauren3101
    Options

If I may be a bit *****y: the group leaders in WW classes aren't really people I'd listen to for advice on losing weight. I might as well listen to a tramp for financial advice.</handbags>

Not *****y at all. I went to a few WW classes and they set my target for me - pretty daunting for anyone with a lot to lose.
    They also said you should eat white over brown bread because it has less calories.
    The cherry on top of the cake was when they said 'if you earn any additional points from exercise, we recommend you don't eat them as it all contributes to your weight loss.'

I never went back.
  • okidoki7
    Options

Not *****y at all. I went to a few WW classes and they set my target for me - pretty daunting for anyone with a lot to lose.
    They also said you should eat white over brown bread because it has less calories.
    The cherry on top of the cake was when they said 'if you earn any additional points from exercise, we recommend you don't eat them as it all contributes to your weight loss.'

I never went back.

honestly, of all the WW meetings i've been to, i have never had a leader tell me those thing,s in fact the complete opposite, they push you to eat wholemeal foods, and use your activty points......
  • auntygill
    auntygill Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I have also lost a lot of weight in the past with WW and found it very good , but once i got to my goal weight it went back on very quickly , yes this was my fault , but i found it very very hard to maintain on WW .

I am now on MFP and loosing weight very slowly ,but thats ok. i eat a lot more than i did on WW and a lot better , as someone said WW does promote its ready made meals quiet aggressivley, so you end up eating a lot of them , i still eat one now and again usually when i dont have time to cook from scratch. i cook fresh food everyday and i am rarely hungry . I feel that i will be able to maintain a lot better on what i doing now than i ever have . and i am living my life and not worrying if i go over a little . So for me its MFP all the way.xx
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Interesting.

I find MFP to be a heaven of ignorance. At least with Weight Watchers you have plan to follow, albeit good or bad.
  • lauren3101
    Options

I never went back.

honestly, of all the WW meetings i've been to, i have never had a leader tell me those thing,s in fact the complete opposite, they push you to eat wholemeal foods, and use your activty points......

Perhaps I had a particularly bad group. Doesn't leave a good impression, either way.
  • okidoki7
    Options

I never went back.

Perhaps I had a particularly bad group. Doesn't leave a good impression, either way.

you're right, it doesnt lol...
  • TimeWarp9
    Options
    Ten years ago (almost), I lost 70lbs on WW doing the Winning Points and then the Flex Points plan. I made Lifetime member in April of 2003. For the most part, I have maintained that loss, but will start journaling (tracking) when I feel I need a little extra discipline - which is why I am here right now.

Done correctly, with good leadership, WW is a wonderful plan. They (are supposed to) emphasize clean eating, portion control, and making healthful choices. WW is not a diet - it is truly a lifestyle change. They show you the tools necessary to make changes in your life (food, exercise, etc). By using the points system, it really brings home the fact that the healthier foods are usually the most satisfying. I have never had a leader espouse any processed food as the best choice. They are a convenience when you need them - and a better choice than a drive thru Whopper.

That being said, in my opinion, they have gone a little overboard with the lower point snack foods they offer. They are a business, though, and have recognized the market demand for those things. They were not the first ones to make snack bars, but they offer them now.

MFP is great for tracking calories and exercise, but truly, I have seen no instruction here. Yes, there is a lot of support and helpful suggestions offered by members, but WW has their forums, also.

Ultimately, no matter which you use, you get what you put into it. I am using MFP now because I have learned the basics from WW and just need to track. Also, WW has evolved their points plan and at this point in my 'journey' I just want to stick with the system that I know. Since the WW site will only allow you to track electronically using the new system, I opted not to do that and was just using a notebook. My aunt told me about this site and I love the on line tracking.
  • rfsatar
    rfsatar Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    WW is still "going on a diet". MFP is a lifestyle change.

QFT... I have found that I still eat fabulously ... and have learnt to gradually reduce my portion sizes without losing my treats....
    I have to be honest - I have never been to WW as I don't believe in dieting, always balanced meals and exercise as a means for losing weight... MFP has just helped me take that to a whole new level....
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    easiest. question. ever. :bigsmile:

The only downside with MFP is that it requires you to do a bit of thinking to workout what you are going to eat (this is very difficult for some people).

If you don't want to have to think for yourself then go to WW, or better yet one of those companies that makes pre-packaged meals and delivers them every week.

If on the other hand you want to invest some time to learn what to eat to be healthier and lose weight for the rest of your life, then there is no question - you should be here.
  • Off10h8ed
    Off10h8ed Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I have done both and you see where I am at.

While WW isn't bad, the support (one day a week) isn't there. I tried the online also and it just doesn't pan up to what we have here. WW are also really into promoting prepackaged meals/snack bars. Don't get me wrong, I do use WW meals on occasion. Just had one last night. However, I prefer to cook my own meals and eat more whole, natural foods without all the extra sodium and such for the most part. I generally grab a pre-pack on a lazy day or if the family is having pizza or something like that and I haven't saved the calories for.

MFP is a GREAT place for support. The phone app is wonderful, the food "bank" with all the listings and nutritional information at your fingertip... you really don't need anything else! I wouldn't trade this place for a free lifetime membership to WW, food included!

Just my thoughts! :)
  • SarahCW1979
    SarahCW1979 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Interesting.

I find MFP to be a heaven of ignorance. At least with Weight Watchers you have plan to follow, albeit good or bad.

Ive only ever received good advice, maybe its the questions I ask I couldnt tell you. A lot of it is common sense with just a pinch of salt for the trolls :wink:
    Ive done both WW and Slimming World and found them to be totally unhelpful with regard to eating a balanced diet. The points system is riggable so you can stuff your face with not so good choices as long as you stay within your dreaded points totals and the 'syn' system, well jeez, tell someone with a food issue that they have 'free food' what do you reckon they'll do?
    I found here that the macros sytem is the easiest thing to use to get a healthy balance. My diary is far from perfect but its doing the job without thinking about points, syns, free food, red or green days or panicking that I have no pre-packaged snacks.
    It is all horses for courses but personally, MFP for me is the difference between eating to lose or starving to lose quickly then gain it back and more.
  • SaraBrown12
    SaraBrown12 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    My fitness pal is FREE. The support you get when you have the right friends is IMMENSE. MFP wins hands down every time. WW is too full of gimmicks and ways for them to make money out of you. I.E when they change the whole diet plan to pro points and the scales you have or calculators that cost you £20+ and the cookery books costing £10 each need to go in the bin. PAYING them when you cannot make a meeting... BOOKING holidays? Like really???? Naff that!!!!! Save the money and use it to buy some weights or a gym membership or work out wear/ DVD's. Good luck whatever path you choose. xx
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    MFP, it's free.