Diet Day 2 - driving home with pizza in the passenger seat

Options
I started my diet last week after I had my physical (and I literally JUST got the numbers back from the doctor and let's just say I NEED to get healthy in a big way).

On day 2 I was still under the belief that I couldn't possibly do 1680 calories a day and honestly, I was starting to feel sorry for myself which annoyed me.

So it was pizza night and I grabbed a large from a local place near my work which, on a good day is 20 minutes from home. Well today of all days, I hit traffic and I have this freaking pizza sitting in the passenger seat. Now I'm ticked off. So I get into town and stop at Wal-Mart to pick up some Healthy Choice meals and Weight Watchers muffins. No one in the store could tell me where the freaking muffins were!!!! One clerk told me they were in the pharmacy because they're for weight loss. Now I figure I'll be on a different meal regimen when I'm sentenced for murdering this clerk!

I get on line and the cashier asked me the obligatory, "How are you today?" to which I answer with some light complaining about how I have to go on this diet and this and that.

So she says to me in a very non-threatening way, "Well at least you have food."

I'm stunned. First thought was that she was rude. Then after a couple of seconds to process it, I realized what an absolute jerk I am being, complaining about poor old me and my diet when that same week, thousands became homeless and orphans and they would likely fight to the death for what was in my cart. I actually thanked her for making me realize this.

Then she told me that she was referring to people who are on those liquid-only diets.

True story and an awesome lesson for me to always remember how good we have it.

I laughed all the way to my car.

Replies

• DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    I hope you gave your pizza to the homeless guy on the corner of the walmart parking lot (we always have them hanging around here).
    It's much healthier (and cheaper), and TASTIER, to make your own.
  • marissa4354
    Options
    This is a great realization. Thanks for sharing.. wakes us all up. :)
  • catherine1979
    catherine1979 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    A reality check that I needed today. Thanks for sharing!
  • tasha30
    tasha30 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    O M G what a funny story. Im cracking up laughing at my desk!

:wink:
  • kingnatalie
    Options
    By the way I believe the Weight Watchers Muffins at Wal-Mart are in the same aisle with the loaves of bread.
  • rachmj526
    rachmj526 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    great story! Thank you for sharing it! We should definitely remember just how good we have it.
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    By the way I believe the Weight Watchers Muffins at Wal-Mart are in the same aisle with the loaves of bread.

:laugh: Now you tell him! :laugh: I hate trying to get assistance at WalMart. Seems like nobody knows where anything is, or they don't know what I'm talking about, or I just can't find anyone to assist me. :tongue:
  • glosalinas
    glosalinas Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I had those same thoughts Friday night while eating my "cheat meal" in a restaurant. " We are leaving all this food on our plates while people in Haiti are eating (if they are lucky), dry nutritional 'biscuits' thrown at them from a truck."
  • pmaria10
    pmaria10 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    What a realization! Thanks for sharing.
  • JerseyJoe
    Options
    ......and yes, I was eventually brought to the Weight Watchers muffins which were in fact, in the bread aisle.

Thing is, the person who directed me didn't even work there. She was one of the manufacturer vendors stocking their display. Then after she showed me, someone else asked her for help.

Lots of needy shoppers in Wal-Mart I guess. :)