Weight loss really slow need help!!!!!!

Options
Hi Everyone
I have been on MFP for about thre emonths now, but I have been on a calorie controlled diet since January 2012 and I am losing weight at a really excruicatingly slow rate, ( 14lb loss so far) I want to ideally lose 28 lbs by March 2013- but it now seems impossible, I am working out with SHRED Jillian Michaels and walk every day. I am on a 1200 cal daily intake- I stay under this target about 98% of the time. however I only seem to lose when I eat less then 1000 calories, but then I feel like I am crash dieting!

i think the exercise is fine, but really need help with the food side of things. I also suffer from low blood sugar, so it I eat too little I will and do crash with the shakes, light headedness etc.
thanks!!
Anna xx

Replies

• witchy_wife
    witchy_wife Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    30 day shred DVD burns over 200 calories per session, add to this your walking and general activity and you are at a VERY low calorie defecit each day if you are only eating up to 1200 calories. I personally think that you need to try upping your calories a little. Sounds crazy but worked for me.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    I think 14 pounds is a great weight loss. If you are now in your "healthy weight range" it is going to come off slower.

It may be the timing of when you eat vs when you exercise. I have to eat in the morning and lunch to keep my energy level up. It doesn't matter when I eat for weight loss, but to feel "energized" I do better eating those meals.

Also, see a nutrionist and recheck the calories on your foods. I thought I was eating a 100 calorie yogurt serving and when I rechecked it was 200! I was eating two a day so that was 1400 calories a week.. but the weight was still coming off sloooooowly... so better than gaining!
  • ThresaGlass
    Options
    Are you drinking plenty of water? Try adding a little more calories. Also fiber and protien are REALLY important! As Jillian Michaels says on the biggest loser before a work out (hour before) fuel up on carbs/protien and fat. Which could mean a ham turkey and cheese sandwich ..example.. Or a protien bar before or after. Change it up for a week and see if it makes a difference. If not check with your doctor to see if there is a medical reason. Hope this helps!
  • Annawaywego
    Annawaywego Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone there are definitely some things to try here I will do
    That and report back a week !!
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    You need to eat more. Timing has nothing to do with it.

Get a HRM and eat back your exercise calories.
  • peachea
    peachea Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    you need to eat more. the less you eat, the more your body holds onto the fat. not sure how much more you need to eat bc don't have your stats, but 1200 cals would be for someone who's simply trying to keep their organs functioning. Would you drive your car without any gas in it? You couldnt. Same as your body. It needs fuel for the amount of activity you are driving it towards.

Focus on losing body fat rather than weight.
  • stephgreene
    Options
    Also, are you taking your measurements? You could be losing inches, just not lbs which is entirely possible
  • Tandksmommy11
    Tandksmommy11 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I would definitely say you are not eating enough. Everyone should eat (and keep!) at the bare minumum 1200 calories per day. If that's what you are eating before you work out, you're way under that. Eat back exercise calories.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    You're not eating enough - your body has adapted to hang on to as much energy stores as it can because it thinks something bad is going on out there in the world outside. (This is not 'starvation mode' as some people might say, but it is a physiological adaption to an extended period of dramatically reduced calorie intake. Your body may also be losing lean muscle mass so Gillian's shred might not be toning you up at all).

The good news is, if you increase your cals and eat closer to your TDEE, your body will gradually get the message that all is okay and start letting go a bit of more of its energy stores. The bad news is, it's unlikely that this recovery will take place without a short period of weight gain first - so you may have to be patient to get to your ultimate goal.
  • Annawaywego
    Options
    thanks to all on here- I don't know am scared to eat more, and when I started on MFP and put in my weight loss goals that is what it set my daily calorie intake to: 1200.
    I have a FT 4 Polar heart rate monitor already and am using that when I do my workout- you are right I am not losing but I feel smaller, so I have taken mesurements before I started the SHRED workout.

Captain Tight; sorry I don't know what TDEE stands for? :)

Also I see Net caloris on the diary- what does this mean.??

so if I have 1200, and I have excercised for 400 Calories are you all saying that I should actually eat 1600 calories that day??

thanks
    Anna.
  • Spindrift2012
    Spindrift2012 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Yes. Your diary should add the calories in automatically and up your calorie intake goal for the day. It should have a message saying 'You have earned 400 extra calories today' and your goal would then go up to 1600.

Try eating a bit more and see how you get on.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Just eat 1600 daily and youll lose the weight.
    Simple right?
  • athenaheim
    athenaheim Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others here you need to eat more. If you dont feel comfortable try eating a fruit or veggie or maybe a yogurt to start. I average around 1300-1700cals a day and I have lost 7lbs the last month. Good luck.
  • Annawaywego
    Options
    Thanks everyone- it doesn't make sense to me becuase I thought you need a calorie deficit in order to lose weight but I will try upping it to 1600 calories and see.
    thanks. xx