If You Don't Sleep, You Won't Lose Weight

Options

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Find us 3+ credible sources to back up your argument, and I will consider debating the facts with you.

Tempting, but, I have two young children and far far better things to do.

We are not having a science lesson, folk can have an opinion without having to back things up and certainly without having to prove such things to the likes of you.

"There are two kinds of fools: those who can't change their opinions and those who won't."

Josh Billings

I'm not asking you to argue it with me, but to try to convince people that 20+ studies are completely false simply because you have some children is like bringing a knife to a gun fight. I don't care what your opinion is, but if you want to make an argument in a public forum, bring a bit more than just what you believe in. Bring some factual evidence.

You have not brought factual evidence either,
    MMAS is an observational cohort study of health in a population-based random sample of men

piratesarecool4.gif
  • MED2012COLORADO
    Options
    Well then im screwed. :angry: ..........i might as well give up now. :ohwell:
  • gjulie
    gjulie Posts: 391
    Options
    when I can I will sleep from about 10pm until 7 in the morning my husband on the other hand is a very poor sleeper Im always up early on an aversage night I fall asleep about 10 and Im up at 5.15 for to get to the gym its driving him mad because he says I wake him up,not the best situation, I feel if he quit smoking for good and started a little exercise he might sleep better but that will never happen,my son suggested this jokongly yesteray and he got quite mad!
  • jcpmoore
    jcpmoore Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Considering the report was based on men, and not women, I don't see how your point is relative. Men don't wake up in the middle of the night to deal with children. We usually sleep right through it.

Let it go. Feeb doesn't want to argue-just shoot down anything that isn't in their experience.

There have been numerous studies over the years that show these results-less sleep equals *higher risk* of weight gain and diabetes. And that phrase is the key- *higher risk*. The study never said that every person who gets less sleep will get diabetes. Higher risk just means it's more likely.

If you want to talk personal experience as empirical evidence, though, I can offer it. When I had young children, and was nursing them, I got less sleep and gained weight. When I had no children and got less sleep, I gained weight. When I had two young children but they slept through the night and I got 7 hours of sleep every night-I lost weight. Now I'm back to getting less sleep because of my own choices and I'm gaining weight and on the borderline for prediabetes.

Later folks, I think I'll go get some sleep.
  • GuybrushThreepw00d
    GuybrushThreepw00d Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    MMAS is an observational cohort study of health in a population-based random sample of men

piratesarecool4.gif

I love correlation - causation topics!!

correlation.png
  • mq68
    mq68 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Only a sith deals in absolutes

LOL! thank you!

i can sleep anywhere but only get 3 to 5 hours total... I have lost 40lbs since May with this same sleep schedule but would love to sleep more. it just isn't the time. Maybe I will sleep when I am dead.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    I would have to think it has more to do with being awake 20 hours a day and having more time to do mindless eating. Correlation does not equal causation.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options

Find us 3+ credible sources to back up your argument, and I will consider debating the facts with you.

We are not having a science lesson, folk can have an opinion without having to back things up and certainly without having to prove such things to the likes of you.

"There are two kinds of fools: those who can't change their opinions and those who won't."

Josh Billings

I'm not asking you to argue it with me, but to try to convince people that 20+ studies are completely false simply because you have some children is like bringing a knife to a gun fight. I don't care what your opinion is, but if you want to make an argument in a public forum, bring a bit more than just what you believe in. Bring some factual evidence.

piratesarecool4.gif

We could always go through the 29 references used in that report to see any other details, if you wish.
  • sgthaggard
    sgthaggard Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    Using evolution as an argument against sleep is specious. Most children who are older than 6 months are capable of sleeping through the night. Whether they do or not has a lot to do with parenting style - something that has changed significantly in the last 50 years or so. Not a long enough time to have any effect on our evolution.

On the flip side, I know that sleep deprivation would have an inverse effect on the number of children I would choose to have, thus decreasing the chances of my genetic material being passed on.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options

Josh Billings

piratesarecool4.gif

We could always go through the 29 references used in that report to see any other details, if you wish.
    Married-with-Children-popcorn.gif
  • athenaheim
    athenaheim Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    My sister and I dont get much sleep at night and we are losing weight. I think it all depends on other aspects then just sleep.
  • FeebRyan
    FeebRyan Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Using evolution as an argument against sleep is specious. Most children who are older than 6 months are capable of sleeping through the night. Whether they do or not has a lot to do with parenting style - something that has changed significantly in the last 50 years or so. Not a long enough time to have any effect on our evolution.

On the flip side, I know that sleep deprivation would have an inverse effect on the number of children I would choose to have, thus decreasing the chances of my genetic material being passed on.

<facepalm>

Firstly, reacting to children rather than ignoring them at night is the norm in most cultures, including co-sleeping until the child is of a reasonable age or possibly older (making the 'men dont wake in the night' thing utter nonsense)

Also, it has only been in the last 50 years or so that we have been ABLE to 'choose' before birth control and education, both modern inventions.

Thirdly i have not shot anyone down (what a horrible turn of phrase) I have given MY opinion and then answered questions directly put to me. That is not shooting anything.
  • Acg67
    Options

Josh Billings

piratesarecool4.gif

Josh Billings

piratesarecool4.gif

Go ahead and quote relevant data that substantiates your title that no sleep = no weight loss
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to argue the credibility of the article I posted, there's no point in arguing with people do fight on forums for their enjoyment. I was simply sharing something I heard about this morning that I found interesting.

I would like to find the study directly related to the info I heard on the radio this morning.

Oh, and for those saying that "If you don't get enough sleep, you will eat more," how do you explain the correlation to weight gain and the people who got more than 8 hours of sleep every night? I don't think they were eating more because they were awake longer.
  • Acg67
    Options
    Oh, and for those saying that "If you don't get enough sleep, you will eat more," how do you explain the correlation to weight gain and the people who got more than 8 hours of sleep every night? I don't think they were eating more because they were awake longer.

How do you explain the correlation to 100% of water drinkers die?
  • newmooon56
    newmooon56 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Considering the report was based on men, and not women, I don't see how your point is relative. Men don't wake up in the middle of the night to deal with children. We usually sleep right through it.

thats stupid. mothers die in childbirth- dad still sleeps? woman marries a DECENT man - that DOES get up- man still sleeps?

Cave men slept 4-5 hours then woke for 6-8 then slept 4-5 repeat wash rinse repeat. Sleeping 8 hours a night is a product of our lives TODAY- since we work 8-10 a day- sleep fits in where we can fit it. No, Im not finding sources - maybe the paleo community will say this is true for me since they know how the cave men ate - Id assume they understand the whole cave man lifestyle and sleep - or lack there of.

And any study that is on men only- isnt complete when it comes to something that we all do.
  • Inebriated
    Options
    I would have to think it has more to do with being awake 20 hours a day and having more time to do mindless eating. Correlation does not equal causation.
  • samlankford
    Options
    well sleep is not ALWAYS an option for everyone.. I would LOVE to be able to sleep for more then 4 hrs a night but that rarely happens, wonderful world of MS insomnia takes care of that most nights... :yawn: but I still managed to go from a size 12 down to a size 2-4... :bigsmile:
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to argue the credibility of the article I posted, there's no point in arguing with people do fight on forums for their enjoyment.

Then stop doing it? People are giving their opinions and you argue with them, then turn around and say this? :huh:
  • almc170
    almc170 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to argue the credibility of the article I posted, there's no point in arguing with people do fight on forums for their enjoyment. I was simply sharing something I heard about this morning that I found interesting.

I would like to find the study directly related to the info I heard on the radio this morning.

Well, for one thing, it's hard to be active if you're sleeping. Or they may have had other health issues that contributed to their weight issues. This why you can't really draw meaningful conclusions from correlations...