Greek Yogurt

Options

Replies

• withchaco
    withchaco Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I put my own fruit in my plain Greek yogurt. :) Much healthier because there's no added sugar.

Granola and nuts do the trick too. The calories can get high very quickly with that combo, but it fills you up quickly AND you stay full for longer because the calories mostly come from (healthy) fats.
  • 72elkiedude
    72elkiedude Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I add a scoop of optimum gold 100% whey vanilla protein powder with honey or berries. It ups the protien and adds the flavor.
  • TheLongRunner
    TheLongRunner Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I think of it as a savoury thing, like sour cream, and use it in soups, salads, dips, etc, even sandwich filling.

Exactly what I do!
  • NataBost
    NataBost Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I sprinkle cinnamon in my plain 0% and scoop it up with apple slices. Heaven, yo.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    The plain ones are awesome if you know what to put in it. I ate some this morning with a scoop of low-sugar chocolate protein powder. It was great. It's also lovely with fresh fruit. Vanilla is tasty but not as high in sugar as the ones that come with some kind of fruit compote.

I imagine you're eating it to be healthy... There might not be as much XXXTREME MAXIMUM FLAVOR BLASTZZZ in plain greek yogurt but it's good for you, and you can make it tastier than it is.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    SF/FF Instant pudding mix, cheesecake flavor works well in it. Also pumpkin puree and pumpkin pie spice and a teeny bit of vanilla, can also add the cheesecake instant pudding mix to that
  • leanveins
    leanveins Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I put a partial dropper of chocolate liquid stevia, 1 square of dark chocolate finely chopped , 1 tsp. unsweetened coconut , and 1 tsp. of chopped pecans in mine. It is also good with a packet of stevia ,a bit of finely chopped fresh pineapple, and a little unsweetened coconut.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    SF/FF Instant pudding mix, cheesecake flavor works well in it. Also pumpkin puree and pumpkin pie spice and a teeny bit of vanilla, can also add the cheesecake instant pudding mix to that

I did the pumpkin puree/pumpkin pie spice so I can attest to this... It was damned tasty.

Also, I want to add, the less you rely on added sugar in food, the more sensitive you will be to sugar and the less you will need.
  • mommyshortlegs
    mommyshortlegs Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Dannon Okios brand (Greek, nonfat, plain) has 9g of sugar/1 c. (225g/120 cal.), 9g carbs, 22g protein. I use plain Greek yogurt primarily as a dip for fresh apples: voila, natural sweetness. I may sometimes add honey, cinnamon, etc., but find if the apple is sweet enough, and apples generally are, no additional sweetener is needed. On the more savory side, my plain Greek yogurt replaces sour cream or dips -- add garlic salt, onion powder, chives, and other seasonings of choice for veggie dip; combine it with beef, mushrooms, a bit of broth, and spaghetti squash for a low-carb version of beef stroganoff; etc. Also excellent as a source of moisture in baking.
  • Yukongil
    Yukongil Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Dannon light and fit greek yogurt only has 9 carbs and 12g of protein. I LOVE the cherry flavor and its perfect for a diabetic diet!
  • yyleekop
    Options
    Get plain greek yogurt, add things like nuts and actual fruits instead of buys the ones that already have fruit, because it's mainly sweetened fruit. I personally like to add a little bit of Splenda and a lotta cinnamon :)
  • zebisis
    zebisis Posts: 157
    Options
    Fage is the best plain one. Liquid sucralose like EZ Sweetz and cinnamon, and a T or two of granola, and you're golden. :)
  • Off10h8ed
    Off10h8ed Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Dannon light and fit Greek yogurt has 7 g of sugar. That is what I use.
    It has 0 g fat, 80 calories and 12 g of protein. :)
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    I mix in a packet of crystalized lemon or lime juice plus a couple of packets of Splenda w/vanilla flavor.
    It's like lemon or lime cream pie.

Coffee is also a good add in, with splenda.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    why dont you just mix in stuff in the plain one, like honney, agave, fresh fruits, cinamon,

This, Or, you just woman up and eat the plain. BFD that you don't like the taste. It's the healthiest, and you get used to it.

Or just be smart and realize that 13 grams of sugar, along with the nutrition in the yogurt, is not a bad thing at all.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

Now that actually sounds really good. I'll bet it only works with the Greek yogurt though and not regular yogurt. One day I will let Abe Lincoln blink and fork over the cash for a tub of Greek yogurt. :tongue:
  • lisaroyckj
    Options
    I also light the Light and Fit greek yogurt. Two of my favorites are vanilla and cherry. Only 80 calories and 7 or 8 grams of sugar!
  • sunshinesquared
    sunshinesquared Posts: 2,733 Member
    Options
    I like adding Mio to mine. Cheery Mio in plain yogurt is all kinds of delicious!

Why haven't I thought of this?! Genius!!!
  • Sweettart
    Sweettart Posts: 1,331 Member
    Options
    I think Im going to try and buy the plai greek yogurt and add things to it.

Thanks for all your suggestions/advice.
  • dirtbikegirl5
    dirtbikegirl5 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I eat only the plain chobani and put a teaspoon of honey in it.