How bad could a glass of wine be??

Options
13»

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Red wine has tryptophenylphosphoric acid which studies have shown causes muscle to spontaneously transmogrify into fat.

This is easily counter-acted by eating peanut butter within a one hour timeframe (before/after) drinking the wine.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    When you drink alcohol, your body processes the alcohol before anything else because it's poison, and your body sees it as a danger and wants to get rid of it as quickly as possible. Processing food comes second. Therefore, while processing the alcohol, your body stores everything else as fat until the alcohol is processed. In general, that's how it works. I don't know what one glass does or what "one glass" means, but that's the general idea. So, yes, it can make a huge difference.

there is absolutely nothing true about this statement. your body doesn't switch gears like that, and digestion takes an long time.

alcohol is absorbed directly from the stomach, and requires no digestion at all.

You're wrong, but I'm not searching for the info. But, it is true. Just so you know.
  • opus649
    opus649 Posts: 633 Member
    Options

You're wrong, but I'm not searching for the info. But, it is true. Just so you know.

:laugh:
  • LowFatMama
    LowFatMama Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I am an outright LUSH :tongue: when it comes to wine! I gave up chocolate, I gave up potato chips, I gave up nearly every food that was a comfort to me. I could not, will not give up the wine! Dark red wine.
    Don't get me wrong, I treat myself occasionally to a greasy burger, or a slice of cheese pizza, and don't feel the least bit guilty about it.
    My calories per day fluctuates between 1200 -2000, the other day, I overate, and my calorie count was over 3000! The next day, I got back on the MFP wagon, and mostly stick to what is working for me.
    To be honest, I drink more than the occasional glass of winre per day. I find on the days that I don't drink wine, my weight stagnates for a day or two.
    I guess what I'm trying to tell you is, IMO, I don't think the wine is what is holding you back. Maybe try varying your calories every day.
    I also take raspberry ketones every day, and barely exercise. My weight loss is slow and steady.
    Stick to your plan, whatever works for you, Don't give up!
    Good luck to you,
    Viva la wine!

Oh good !! im not alone :drinker: CHEERS

and love this "Viva la Wine" indeed
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    This is actually incorrect.

While I agree on IIFYM idea, calories are not calories with regards to alcohol.

Alcohol does have a specific effect on the metabolism and there are quite a few studies to support this.
    It can also lead to liver steatosis - this is the general condition known as "fatty liver" - what occurs is that alcohol changes and impairs the normal processes of synthesis and elimination of triglyceride fat in this tissue. This can have impact on a variety of conditions from diabetes to sleep apnea.
    Furthermore alcohol impacts renal vitamin D metabolism which has all sorts of downstream effects.

Everything in moderation.
    While all this is true, there is also research to support the idea that alcohol has a hight Thermic Effect of Food (TEF), so its calorie contribution actually counts somewhat less than the equivalent calories from other sources.

About 20% so 100 calories of alcohol are actually about 80.
    Here is a great blog on that - http://www.leangains.com/2010/07/truth-about-alcohol-fat-loss-and-muscle.html

Again, one glass good, many bad. Alcohol is not calories in calories out exactly, but a type of ... "super food". Now that I've said that, somebody whip me.
  • OnionGirl7
    Options
    Thanks One and All, I've taken a lot from this and moving forward

Scales Once a week.
    Carry on sticking to calories
    Keep up with the exercise (but ignore the calorie counter on my bike!!)

Most of all save my treat for the weekend, I may be worth it, but the bloating from wine certainly isn't.

Thanks Al

Sue
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    ADD ME IF YOUR A WINO, if i can do it and succeed , then so CAN YOU!
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    About 20% so 100 calories of alcohol are actually about 80.
    Here is a great blog on that - http://www.leangains.com/2010/07/truth-about-alcohol-fat-loss-and-muscle.html

Again, one glass good, many bad. Alcohol is not calories in calories out exactly, but a type of ... "super food". Now that I've said that, somebody whip me.
    You are my hero lol.
  • jenniferg83
    jenniferg83 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Red wine has tryptophenylphosphoric acid which studies have shown causes muscle to spontaneously transmogrify into fat.

This is easily counter-acted by eating peanut butter within a one hour timeframe (before/after) drinking the wine.

omg so i can have my wine as long as i have my peanutbutter?!?!? I'm in!