Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

The Fit Person and The Frugal Millionaire

I've always thought that the person that reaches, or is on their way towards, their fitness goals through a diet and exercise regimen, is a lot like a person that becomes wealthy through thrift spending and extreme saving. Once we reach our goals or wealth, our friends, family, coworkers, and even the casual observer will tell you what you can afford. Look at you, you can have some cake, some pizza, some drinks. Look at you, you can skip the gym, the run, the workout. Just like the frugal millionaire gets told, look how rich you are, you can buy whatever you want. The thing people fail to realize is, yes we CAN afford those things, BUT the way we got to a point where we could afford those things, was by NOT buying into them. It's always important to enjoy life and reward yourself, and it is never good to obsess in an unhealthy way. Remember though...over confidence in what you can afford has lead many people down into bankruptcy and foreclosure. Never forget how you acquired your wealth, and hopefully it will help you reach your goals or maintain them.

Replies

• BernadetteChurch
    BernadetteChurch Posts: 2,210 Member
    Food for thought.
  • SUPERhecticMOM
    SUPERhecticMOM Posts: 61 Member
    Some great words of wisdom right there!
  • eduff3
    eduff3 Posts: 15 Member
    Very good comparison, absolutely agree
  • Thanks for sharing.
  • okidoki7
    okidoki7 Posts: 151 Member
    well said...thanks...x
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    wise.
  • Love it!!! Thanks for sharing!
  • Lindseyelizabeth87
    Lindseyelizabeth87 Posts: 151 Member
    Very good point! It's all just over indulging, whether it's financially or with your eating.

Oddly enough so many people are coming to mind now, of both sides of that scale, and the two can surely go together often.
  • AmandaMonster
    AmandaMonster Posts: 27 Member
    love this! thank you for posting! :)
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    very astute. thank you ;) also, you are fun to look at. just sayin.
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    great analogy.
  • Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    I read once that the key to success in anything is tenacity: sticking with it.

Makes sense, no matter what your objective, one will be successful if you keep to your goal ... be it learning to play the piano, be a fantastic cook, saving for a big purchase or your future, or getting to your goal weight.

Speaking particularly of frugality, two couples in my circle of friends (we're all retired croaks) live comfortably because they had a habit of saving, low consumption (always had one car only; camping vacations with kids; rarely dined out; avoided newest toys etc), and as Sheryl Crow sang, 'it's not having what you want, it's wanting what you have' is the belief they live. Amazingly they saved and grew it to over a million dollars, and their jobs were ordinary ones, not doctor, lawyer, etc. I know it's really tough for young people these days (I see it in my kids) who will never experience the job opportunities, or growth in their savings or investments (low interest rates, sluggish stock market, housing stuck) of those born in the 40s and 50s. However, the generation before: the ones born in the 20s and 30s knew the same economic conditions we have and are headed into for the next decade. History is a cycle ... as the Chinese saying, 'may you be born in interesting times' suggests, the times we live in can be a blessing or a curse.
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    What a great way to think about this subject. This is especially true for me since I'm trying to get my finances in order as well. When I was gaining weight I was also gaining debt and it's time to do something about it!
  • SupaWmn76
    SupaWmn76 Posts: 2 Member
    I always say...Your NOT a dog..don't treat yourself with Food! :smile:
  • I've always thought that the person that reaches, or is on their way towards, their fitness goals through a diet and exercise regimen, is a lot like a person that becomes wealthy through thrift spending and extreme saving. Once we reach our goals or wealth, our friends, family, coworkers, and even the casual observer will tell you what you can afford. Look at you, you can have some cake, some pizza, some drinks. Look at you, you can skip the gym, the run, the workout. Just like the frugal millionaire gets told, look how rich you are, you can buy whatever you want. The thing people fail to realize is, yes we CAN afford those things, BUT the way we got to a point where we could afford those things, was by NOT buying into them. It's always important to enjoy life and reward yourself, and it is never good to obsess in an unhealthy way. Remember though...over confidence in what you can afford has lead many people down into bankruptcy and foreclosure. Never forget how you acquired your wealth, and hopefully it will help you reach your goals or maintain them.

Young, handsome and smart... ^^ nice thread.