Running, Breathing with asthma

Options
I'm just awful at breathing while running. I posted last week techniques to help prevent asthma attacks while running, but still can't get a good rhythm for my breath. My second half of running is always easier than my first and have made better time by pacing myself. When I don't think about my breath I breathe well, but when I start to think about how many paces I exhale and inhale I hyperventilate and grow very tired quickly. Do I pace my breathing or just let it come naturally? What do you suggest?

Replies

• Bossit
    Bossit Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I try not to think about it. Keep it natural, but know that you should be breathing slow like you are swimming.
    Your body will tell you if you are pushing too hard based on your breathing, so try listen to it.
    If I am running fast, I try to control my breathing a bit by taking slow long inhales and exhale with my lips pursed.
    also if you breath too fast you'll get a side stitch
  • cbrrabbit25
    cbrrabbit25 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    it gets better! once you start running, stick with it and you will see that it helps your asthma since you are strengthening your lungs. I had horrible asthma but after i fought through the initial difficulty of breathing while running, it got easier not only when i run but all of the time! i suggest starting out slowly and building up from there. And if its cold out, try to wear a scarf and breathe in warmer air since the cold air will constrict your lungs more. if you have trouble just stop, catch your breath, and start again. I went from using my inhaler every day to not ever needing it now. its pretty awesome! Just fight through it and stick with it! The more you think about how you breathe, the harder it is to do it correctly.