Help me use chia seeds and nutritional yeast

Options
ritasice21
ritasice21 Posts: 200 Member
Hey all, I bought both of these items, for a total of over $22, each for recipes I did not like. The chia seed and weird and slimy to me, but from what I have seen HAVE to be soaked first to get any nutritional value.

The nutritional yeast is way to yeasty tasting to me, any way to camouflage it. Yes, I know that is what it is, but it is so overwhelming.
I really don't want to waste these and throw them in the trash.

Replies

• SorchaRavenlock
    SorchaRavenlock Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    That's a good Question! I don't really know to be honest, hopefully someone will come along soon with some advice.
  • LizCO2DC
    LizCO2DC Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I eat chia seeds almost every day, and I just put a spoonful into my yogurt or smoothies. You'll barely even notice they're there :) Good luck!
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    I add two tablespoons of nutritional yeast to most of my savory dishes.
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Chia is great in overnight oats.
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    I add two tablespoons of nutritional yeast to most of my savory dishes.

What is considered a savory dish?
  • olerolls
    olerolls Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    You do not need to soak chia to get its nutrition benefits. It is just fine to eat it dry. I sprinkle it on yogurt, in smoothies, in eggs, in salads... all kinds of things.
  • Elainejk21
    Elainejk21 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I grew up eating nutritional yeast as a topping for popcorn. Now I also add old bay seasoning which sounds weird but gives it a slightly salty, spicy kick to it. You could also use it as a breading.. my mom used to make pan seared tofu with nutritional yeast as a coating along with some other herbs/spices.

Skinnytaste has some recipes that include chia seeds...
  • ThinVee
    ThinVee Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Savory dishes are any dishes other than sweets / desserts. Ex: Soups, stews, grains, etc...
  • MSam1205
    MSam1205 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Chia is great in overnight oats.

Just invested in chia seeds myself and did the overnight oatmeal recipe with pumpkin. Never knew they were there!
  • MSam1205
    MSam1205 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    didn't know about the yeast product, but this site had lots of ideas!

http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2011/10/what-the-heck-is-nutritional-yeast.html
  • lauren3382
    lauren3382 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I love chia seeds on peanut butter toast. Or on top of peanut butter and rice cakes.
  • KimAggie04
    KimAggie04 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I use them in overnight oats also, but they do have a texture like tapioca.

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2012/06/skinny-overnight-oats-in-jar.html
  • ThinVee
    ThinVee Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I use nutritional yeast to replace any item I would have used Parmesan cheese on. Try it over spaghetti squash with fresh cracked black pepper, or sprinkled on top of steamed broccoli with garlic, or even mixed into a minestrone or veggie soup. My family really likes nutritional yeast as a popcorn topping too. Its high in fiber and B vitamins so try it out a few more ways before throwing it out!

Chia seeds have no flavor, so essentially they will absorb or take on the flavor of anything you mix them with. Try the chia seeds in pudding or to thicken salad dressings. (They will give any pudding a tapioca-like texture).

Remember to start slowly with them though - they can cause gas and stomach upset if you introduce them too quickly to your diet or in large quantities.

If you play sports or run they can keep your body hydrated for longer periods of time - so mix them with water or your favorite sports drink. They will become soft and bloated, but will have absolutely no taste other than what you've mixed them with. Health food stores sells these drinks and they are really expensive ($3-4 a small bottle). You can make your own for pennies!

Good luck and let me know if you try any of the recipes!

http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2012/01/chocolate-chia-pudding-and-other-sugar-free-flour-free-desserts.html

http://www.chiaseedrecipes.com/
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Next time, try hemp seeds. They are yummier and have better nutritional value. I drop hemp seeds into lots of foods if I want to bump up the protein content. Also, they have the perfect ratio of Omega 3 and Omega 6.

As for the chia seeds, if you don't like them, don't eat them. Consider it a learning experience and try something different.

For nutritional yeast, I have no clue what that is. How is it different from regular yeast? I use yeast for pizza dough and occasionally I make sweet rolls.
  • heyshell79
    heyshell79 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I can't help with the chia seeds, but I love Nutritional Yeast, I'm not sure what brand you bought, but I love it on popcorn, on buttered toast, over rice...it's a savory flavor, and should be used with savory foods.
  • MizKittyB
    MizKittyB Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I bought two of the Happy Herbivore books when I was on a vegetarian kick. The author's recipes call for nutritional yeast and chia seeds here and there. Most often, the nutritional yeast is a substitute for hard cheeses like Parmesan, such as a broccoli-pesto pasta. I most often see chia seeds listed as ingredients for things like pudding, etc. I believe I saw at least one pudding recipe on the Oxygen site a while back. Hope that helps!
  • ThorneDust
    ThorneDust Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I say pretty much the same thing everyone has said so far. LOL I love me some chia seeds in my greek yogurt. I mix it and let it sit for a while to absorb some of the water and thicken it up even more. Nutritional yeast, anywhere cheese is good would be good.
  • MandyAnnV
    MandyAnnV Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I have started mixing in chia seeds with my peanut butter that I spread on my toast. I don't hardly even notice them.
  • mcc_sar
    Options
    I love to mix my chia seeds in yogurt, smoothies, toppings like on a salad or veggies or in substitute of sesame seeds, in breads (banana, pumpkin etc) and grind them and add them to cookies, cakes, pancakes.
  • Sylvie1313
    Options
    I have tried nutritional yeast on popcorn. Was not bad.