Halloween candy....

Options
Yikes! It's all over in the stores, everywhere you go! What are you doing to avoid over-indulging on the stuff??

I for one,if I buy candy, refuse to buy the stuff until 2-3 days before Halloween so it's not IN MY HOUSE. I also pool my candy with neighbors at a Halloween block party so.. since there is already so much candy to dole out to the kids, I buy tattoos, other random cheap toys and mini bags of popcorn. The kids seem to love picking out their faves and again it keeps me from having tempting treats in the house.

Replies

• LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    This is how I deal:

It's just candy. There will always be candy. I can have candy any time or place that I want some. I have a car, a job, some money, and a little free time. I can get candy anywhere. So, I don't have to eat this candy. If I really, really want candy (not just mindless eating), I have some. But if I don't really want it, I won't. I can have it some other time.
  • cylima
    cylima Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    This is how I deal:

It's just candy. There will always be candy. I can have candy any time or place that I want some. I have a car, a job, some money, and a little free time. I can get candy anywhere. So, I don't have to eat this candy. If I really, really want candy (not just mindless eating), I have some. But if I don't really want it, I won't. I can have it some other time.

I totally agree!
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I agree but for me, I live out in the middle of nowhere, so I'm not tempted by it that much. I'm too lazy to drive to town to buy candy and the other times I see it is usually when I buy groceries. Gas stations used to be the worst for me when I had to go IN the store to pay, but now with debit cards, problem solved. lol
    And yes, I do eat candy occasionally. I refuse to totally eliminate anything I enjoy out of my diet, I just make room for it with exercise and careful calorie monitoring. If you don't, it's a DIET and we all know it's not, it's a lifestyle, because a DIET is temporary. We need to be able to maintain after we reach our goals. However,,, if I had a bag of Reeses peanut butter cups sitting in front of me, I KNOW I'd have a hard time keeping my hands out of it!
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Same way I deal with any other food, by not eating too much of it.
  • Nimiko
    Nimiko Posts: 52
    Options
    Candy corn is my weakness! Just look at my food diary. :laugh:
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    Mine too! Candy corn mixed with peanuts. Yum!
  • Troll
    Troll Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    We dont get many trick or treaters, but i always buy a bag of candy corn :)

i dont walk into the halloween section otherwise. :)
  • penguinlally
    penguinlally Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    great plan --- i buy tattoos, stickers and such..... and if I buy candy at all I buy the type we don't like..... now if they gave away cheese........
  • jillschorr
    Options
    Buy the type of candy you dont like! I love chocolate, so I make sure I by non chocolate, sour type candy that all the kids love anyway..Nerds, Warheads, sour patch kids..

That stuff does not tempt me at all!

Now they stuff my kids collect that night? Thats a whole new topic!
  • seaKind
    seaKind Posts: 136
    Options
    Mine too! Candy corn mixed with peanuts. Yum!

me too!
    and sometimes the candy does suck me in, but fortunately- with this new whole foods eating 'style', I shop at the farmer's market more than the grocery store & when I HAVE TO go to the dreaded grocery store- aka temptation hell-, I try to stay on the perimeter and OUT of the Isles (except the coffee isle, of course!)...

edited to add:
    oh yeah, and this halloween, we are decorating tangerines to look like mini jack-o-lanterns as give out treats :laugh: the kids will probably egg my house, but dang they are cute!!!
  • GreyEyes21
    GreyEyes21 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I personally just got like 5 bags of halloween candy. I eat 1-3 pieces (depending on fat and calories) a night. I have a major sweet tooth that can't be denied :D
  • Dreajewkes
    Options
    I bought otter pops this year for the trick or treaters. That way if there are any left over i can have three for 45 calories :drinker: and that makes me very happy:happy: If candy is in my house i'm more likely to be tempted and want to eat it just because its there. Another fun Halloween idea; my sister bought glow stick bracelets she bought them online for cheap.
  • eleanoreb
    eleanoreb Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    i deal with it by eating it! especially when ppl bring it to work tis bad!! I will try and stay away from it..thanks for the tips
  • testease
    testease Posts: 220
    Options
    I do the same thing as i did when i was a kid, only i wait for the candy to go on sale the day after. I buy a box of 100, empty box into a pillow case. Sit inront of the T.V and eat myself sick.
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options

I'm with you. It's all good until I open the bag.
  • Amazingday
    Amazingday Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Pumpkin mallow candies keep taunting me! I LOVE THEM! Halloween and Easter.... pumpkins and jelly beans! And now the holiday candy is in the stores 2 months earlier than it used to be.... torture!
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    My fiance and I will usually get a bag or three of candy a day or two after Halloween and then ration it out modestly. We get it at a discount , so it works out really well. We don't over-indulge and we only do this after Halloween, X-mas and Easter.
  • wholenewme03
    wholenewme03 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Instead of having it in the house 2-3 days before Halloween, why not just buy it ON Halloween, and then just enough for your trick-or-treaters? "We ran out of candy on Halloween" said no grocery store ever.
  • GreyEyes21
    GreyEyes21 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Instead of having it in the house 2-3 days before Halloween, why not just buy it ON Halloween, and then just enough for your trick-or-treaters? "We ran out of candy on Halloween" said no grocery store ever.

Grocery stores around us run out of candy all the time. :(
  • Rhia55
    Rhia55 Posts: 247
    Options
    I just don't buy it. I don't hand out on Beggar's Night and I have no kids so there is no reason to.