veggies sparking when reheated in microwave?

Options
anyone have this problem? i just did with carrots and squash and i only put pepper on them so why would they spark? is there metal in my veggies?!

Replies

• Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    Lol, sorry, that made me laugh...no idea but I can't do veggies in my microwave.
    Last time I tried I killed the veg and the bowl I did them in :laugh:
  • jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    This happened to me one time with cauliflower.. I freaked out and threw the whole (frozen) bag out. I had no idea this happened to others and was 'normal' :laugh:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    More likely there is metal in whatever you are heating them in/on. Dishes with gold or silver trim will often contain metal that will spark. Aluminum foil, of course, will spark. Most twisty ties have metal in them. It takes very little metal to cause a spark in a microwave.
  • Just_Wil
    Just_Wil Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Could be the pepper as well.
  • cbrrabbit25
    cbrrabbit25 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    More likely there is metal in whatever you are heating them in/on. Dishes with gold or silver trim will often contain metal that will spark. Aluminum foil, of course, will spark. Most twisty ties have metal in them. It takes very little metal to cause a spark in a microwave.

no metal on the dish. it was only the veggies.
  • cbrrabbit25
    Options
    Could be the pepper as well.

that was it i think. i tried the pepper on something else and it did it again. weird!
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    Trying this now, thanks for the tip!
  • HMD7703
    HMD7703 Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    Dense vegetables such as green beans, carrots and green peppers have a higher amount of minerals in them than other food items. These minerals include iron, magnesium and selenium. This produces the "spark you see".

Google "arcing".
  • cbrrabbit25
    Options
    Dense vegetables such as green beans, carrots and green peppers have a higher amount of minerals in them than other food items. These minerals include iron, magnesium and selenium. This produces the "spark you see".

Google "arcing".

Ok, thanks! good to know!
  • MILFaspirations
    MILFaspirations Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    happens to me too.

i now wrap in a wet paper towel, or put in bowl of water, then microwave.