Bipolar and overweight :(

Options
Hey there

I have been told by my psychiatrist that I need to lose 2 stone or they will stop my medication.... My cholesterol is also too high. I need to lose this weight fast and I am finding it very hard as I feel hungry all the time.

Anyone else on here because of medication?

Emma x

Replies

• harvo
    harvo Posts: 4,676 Member
    Options
    I am trying to keep track for diabetic reasons. There is a study that says weight can cause higher blood sugars. Try to find natural foods you like. The more processed stuff will cause high blood sugars and can make you act like you have a tape worm. Good luck!
  • christchick7
    christchick7 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Hi Emma,

I too, have bipolar 2 and am on here mostly because of meds. One thing is that you
    can't lose weight super fast and be healthy. No more than 1-2 pounds a week in order
    to lose weight safely. Not sure how many stone that is... Try eating fresh fruit and
    vegetables to quiet your hunger. They require a lot of chewing and will fill you up.
    If you need support, please feel free to friend me.

Sue
  • cmacdonald8
    cmacdonald8 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I've definitely had issues due to meds as well. I saw that you have a 4-year-old, my son will be 3 just after Christmas. I try to get as much excercise with him as I can, going for walks, playing at the park, swimming, etc... My biggest enemy has been soda and qucik and easy (unnutritous) meals. For me I just had to cut every beverage other than water out. I add flavor to my water by blending fruits and vegtabels into my water. My faves are cucumber, melon, or grapefruit. Then I have to have quick stuff on hand, so I always have an apple, banana, carrots, and oranges on hand. I try to keep to 1200 calories a day, yet I am always eating because most of my calories come from fruits and vegtables, and I do feel satisfied. I still crave the junk, but for me I know that I can't have just a little because I will keep wanting more. Is it possible that you are not eating enough filling foods during they day? I know when I was on risperadal and remron, it didn't matter what I ate I was ALWAYS hungry and I gained a ton of weight. Feel free to message me if you want to chat, good luck!!!
  • Evette7
    Evette7 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I gained 50lbs in 3 months on my last medication! I complexly understand.
  • xXThursdaysChildXx
    Options
    My recent weight gain was due to my new medication change, and I was told the same. I need to lose the weight. So I completely understand your situation. Feel free to add me if you'd like hun! I am always here for support! :) Hope you're doing well!
  • petstorekitty
    petstorekitty Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I think I can understand.. I recently have gone off daily medication; about 1 month now. I was very tired of side effects and flat out refuse to take ANYTHING that I read caused weight gain as weight is one of my triggers.

That being said I have to lose and maintain b/c if I gain, it can be a bad spiral.
    feel free to add me too. it is nice to know that there are others going through similar things.
  • madworld1
    madworld1 Posts: 524
    Options
    My doc said that if we ever need to, we can add topamax. She uses it as an add-on to meds that made her patients gain weight. You might ask your doc about that. The bad thing about topamax is that is has some pretty heavy duty side effects (hair loss, memory loss, etc.).
  • jesskaz15
    Options
    I, too, have Bipolar and my weight has fluctuated drastically over the years. I've been up 60 lbs, lost it all, only to gain back about 20 lbs of that. I know that medication has had something to do with this but MFP has helped me become very mindful of what I'm doing to my body. I'm hopeful that this will conteract some of side effects of the medications I take because I know how important it is to keep taking them! Good luck and feel free to add me for support. :)
  • ajy1976
    ajy1976 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I too am bipolar and very recently found out I'm diabetic as well. I know I've been on meds in the past that are known to put weight on. It's tough. If you make friends on her, there are some very supportive people. It's hard to keep with it if you don't have the emotional support and we're all here because we struggle sometimes. If you get in the habit of logging all your food and exercise it will give you insight on what your habits are.
    Welcome to MFP!
  • jegskalige
    Options
    I also suffers from Bipolar Disease - and overweight.

I have gained 25 kg and has a lot of difficulties losing weight. I am on a daily basis on 5 different medications and have a lot of PN.meds. Lithium has caused hyperthyroidism, my cholestorol is to high and I have liver damage - all due to medication.

Hope for supporting one another.

Carina
  • sexelby
    sexelby Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I suffer with bipolar too, and I find it incredibly hard to regulate my eating when my emotions are haywire. I find it's all strongly connected. When I'm incredibly low I generally binge, and binge a lot, but it's when I'm feeling better I eat hardly anything and suffer with eating disorders because of this. Then even when I'm on a high I have the odd moment when I feel so good I eat everything in sight because I don't care.

Basically, it's a lot harder for people with our disorder to not suffer with weight issues. And medication does play havoc.

From my nutritionist, the main things I have taken away are:

Eating six times a day, small and often is imperative. When you regulate your eating (roughly every two hours) you won't be hungry so you are less likely to overindulge when you go to eat next. Alternate main meals with snacks. One rule is, never miss a meal and try to stick to set times. Honestly, I love it. I've lost ten pounds in three weeks just doing this!

Exercise little and often. Can start with a small walk a few times a week then build it up. You're aiming for 20 minutes 4/5 times a week of moderate exercise. When I exercise my eating always becomes more structured and you become more aware of what you're eating.

Identify a trigger food and try to cut down on it. Mine is dairy, as soon as a little touches my lips I'm through a whole block of cheese !

Stay hydrated. 2L a day, of as much water/squash as you can.

Finally, become more aware of what foods you are eating and the content in them. What good old my fitnesspal is great for! Basically fill up on good foods. So consult the lovely food triangle at the end here, eating lean meats such as chicken etc, carbs (because women get incredibly cranky without carbs, where men can live without it easily), fruit and veg, you know the rest! Use processed foods sparingly but remember to treat yourself every now and then.

Hope this helps anyone like it's helped me

Food triangle> http://www.healthfiend.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/foods-pyramid.gif
    x
  • sokkerchika
    sokkerchika Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I too am bipolar and overweight. I am 24 years old (about to be 25 in 3 weeks!) and have been on medications for years. I went from being a stick figure to 330 pounds since high school. I don't blame it all on the meds, and I don't blame it all on the emotions.. but it's a big factor in the weight gain and I can't deny that. I just joined this site yesterday because my younger sister is on here and doing GREAT. She started off skinny to begin with though so I'm frustrated with her and her bones lol. If you need someone to talk to, message me! I'd love to help motivate each other.