stick or auto

Options

Replies

• ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    Stick! ♥♥♥ I miss my GTI. Owning an automatic now makes me not want to drive.
  • Dr_sparky
    Dr_sparky Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Stick... learnt first on stick and I just can't get used to driving an auto in the states... especially going up hills when it shifts up five seconds after it should. Though I must admit I do acknowledge the benefits in town driving... however for long journeys... definately stick. I'm an engineer and used to work on developing the electronics for off-hire trucks and shifting algorithms were always an issue. Humans are just way better than any machine. My husband is putting a V8 into an MGB that will be fantastic to drive once its back on the road.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    In the states where I have lived mainly in smaller towns, auto.

In bigger cities and the rest of the world, I prefer stick (You have to zoom out as soon as the light turns green)

Fun fact, in UK you cannot operate a stick if you passed the exam on an automatic but if you passed using a stick shift, you are allowed to run an automatic also
  • SocWkrBee
    SocWkrBee Posts: 374
    Options
    I wish I could drive a stick. I wanted to learn, when I was first learning to drive and my dad told me "good luck finding someone who will let you burn up their clutch"! :tongue: Needless to say, I couldn't find anyone.

My car now has both, but I only use the automatic.
  • guardian419
    guardian419 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    eclipse is a performance car?? :huh:
  • alaskaang
    alaskaang Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I love my automatic for every day driving.

BUT - I have a blast driving my retro '65 Ford P30 Boyertown Merchandiser with a 3 on the tree!
  • pawnstarNate
    pawnstarNate Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    stick is definately more fun....Miss my mustang GT....drive a jacked up z71 now and don't know what I would do without that truck for fun, mudding, hunting but, it's an automatic
  • Benval17
    Options
    Hahaha Automatic lol its easier to Drive Then driving Stick :happy:
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    stick
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    depends on the vehicle. I wouldn't want a stick in my truck.
    I'm glad i have a stick in my car.
    though i wish my other car was stick too.
  • mynameiscarrie
    mynameiscarrie Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I drive a stick and I love it, but I also live in a small town at the moment. Whenever I drive to my parents in Atlanta (where my husband and I are probably going to end up in a couple of years) I wish I had an automatic. Traffic in a stick is miserable
  • ravengirl1611
    ravengirl1611 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Love stick and the way faster shifting - however my knee wont let me drive one anymore so when I bought my car this spring I went with an automatic - not as much fun but also not as painful
  • Kisuke30
    Kisuke30 Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I've got an auto now but love stick. In my experience, they were always cheaper, and I never needed jumper cables. Push start! :)
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    Manual all the way. That's what I learned on. You have so much more control and it's more fun. I feel like I'm playing a video game when I drive. When I get that perfect downshift, it's so satisfying!
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna go against the grain and say automatic. Because I don't know how to drive a stick. & you know what? I'm okay with that. Maybe in the future I'll learn but right now? I don't care.
  • melsmith612
    melsmith612 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    eclipse is a performance car?? :huh:

My stock 2006 GT had 260hp and handled like a dream. If it hadn't been for the insane expense of "premium fuel only" on a car that really only gets 20mpg I probably would have kept it longer than the 2 years I did. A car's performance varies greatly from driver to driver though... you have to be willing to push 6500rpm in 3rd if you want to show a mustang who's boss on the highway. :wink:

Edit: I should have mentioned that even though I bought an automatic, it did have the ability to shift manually.
  • rbear713
    rbear713 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    stick - lasts longer, more control, easier to replace - AND those who drive stick can drive ANYTHING. those who cant...half a driver is what I like to call em!!
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Options
    iPhone 5! no... Galaxy S3....

wait.

what was the question?

I would probably prefer a stick. I learned to drive one years ago, but given my financial situation have never allowed me to buy a car for myself. I was lucky enough to have 2 vehicles passed on to me - both automatic. it's been so long, i'm not sure i can drive a stick efficiently anymore... but i can drive one.
  • Tracepa98
    Tracepa98 Posts: 219
    Options
    Automatic. Dont get me wrong, Ive driven a stick and its alright. But after one year of living in Florida and having to sit in hurricane evacuation traffic, I was done.

Although I did have a chuckle that my ex boyfriend (we were dating at that current time though) bought a 2001 Trans Am WS6 and didn't know how to drive it. I had to teach him. :smile:
  • tausha_k
    Options
    MANUAL!!! I have been driving fro 23 years and have owned 4 cars, all but one was a manual. The car that was an automatic, I owned for 2 yrs and I swore I would never own another automatic!! Right now I own a 2004 Ford Focus 5 speed and it has about 130,000 miles on it with the original clutch and transmission (I bought it brand new). Up until a year ago I lived in California, I say that's pretty good (knocking on wood). I am trying to talk my husband into a Jeep for my next car!!