No time to work out.. any tips?

Options
Hi there, I'm hoping I can just get a little bit of advice and help here. I just recently started using the my fitness pal app on my phone since I'm rarely home to use the computer. I don't consider myself overweight by any means, but lately I just feel disgusted by my appearance, and that's just depressing. I'm a 21 year old mom, I'm a full-time student, and I work about 30 hours a week. When I do have free time, I spend it with my son, and once he's asleep at night I do homework. Whenever I do have time to exercise, such as taking my son out in the jogging stroller, I just don't have the energy to jog long enough to make myself feel like I've actually done something. As for eating, I usually eat two times daily, and I overeat because I never really pack snacks to go with me to class or work. And if I do eat snacks, even if its a healthy snack, I feel like I look fat to other people. The overall situation just has me down and completely unmotivated. Does anyone have any tips for me?

Replies

• FluffyDogsRule
    FluffyDogsRule Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    get up early and work-out before your son gets up.
  • skinnydee15
    Options
    From my experience, it's harder to lose weight if you're not getting adequate sleep. I'm already staying up late doing homework so getting up early isn't ideal for me.
  • lizblizz2012
    lizblizz2012 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I saw a quote one a website once. Went something like this: "Someone busier than you is working out right now."

Perhaps you could get some home workout videos. A lot of them can be done in a matter of 20 minutes.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    I used to ALWAYS claim I was too busy to exercise. I have two kids, own a company (and work at least 50+ hours a week), until this past December I was in school full time working on a Masters'. But I was losing myself in the process. I finally made myself find time every day for something, a run, the gym, riding, etc. And there's still enough hours in the day to get everything else done. You just have to tell yourself that exercise is non-negotiable, and you will find the time.
  • jeffreyjording
    jeffreyjording Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Consistently log your food, run a calorie deficit. I walked to lose a majority of my weight. You don't have to workout like a Athlete to be beneficial. You might get an exercise bike or elliptical if you can afford it.
  • LaFlacaMaria
    Options
    You can go on walks with your son every night. I agree with the workout videos because they work on your own time. Also, you can jog in place, stretch, lift weights, do crunches while you are watching your favorite television show or listening to some good music. It would be a good idea to start packing some healthy snacks. If you like to go to fitness classes, you can always see if the city you live in has recreation classes for you to sign up for.
  • terrie_k
    terrie_k Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    If you do get time to do some cardio, HIIT is the best bang for your buck. Also, try looking for what people post as "MINI CHALLENGES", it isn't much but it gets you moving (I do these at work during my breaks).
  • hiker359
    hiker359 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Insetad of typing on the forums, do a quick tabata routine.

Just look up tabata on youtube and you'll find lots of vids.
  • ShiloughCoy
    Options
    Remind yourself that ANY exercise is better than no exercise. And get off your own back - you should be at least as understanding of your own issues as you would be of your best friend's issues :)
  • Vinyarddog
    Options
    10 Minute Trainer by "Beachbody" (Tony Horton)
  • LaFlacaMaria
    Options
    You should also youtube Tiffany Rothe. Her workouts are pretty fun!
  • NikkiSixGuns
    NikkiSixGuns Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    The time crunch situation is tough, but everyone has to overcome some obstacles to reach their goals. If losing weight didn't require sacrifice, everyone would be skinny! You've got to figure out what you're willing to give up to reach your goals.

For me, it's sleep. I get up early to get in my workout every day. 4:30 a.m., before a 9-hour workday + commute. And there are people out there that have it a lot tougher than me but still manage to make it a priority. So, no excuses!

Getting off my soap box now...

As for tips, I'd recommend you do some homework about your Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) and Total Daily Expenditure (TDEE) and find out how many calories you should be eating to maintain or lose weight. Then log everything you eat accurately, and make sure you stay within your calorie budget for the day.

Add in some movement every day, even if it's taking your son around the block, jumping jacks here and there, whatever. Just move your body! As others have said, you don't have to make huge changes right away.

Stick to it, and you WILL see results.

Good luck!
  • DPernet
    DPernet Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    No time to work out.. any tips?

Make some time :bigsmile:
  • centexhusker
    centexhusker Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Excercise for me has to be at the very start of the day or it doesn't happen. There are just too many twists and turns in my day and I work late often. Do what I do, get out of bed, get dressed, and get started first thing in the am, it's the only way for me.
  • fitQueenbeast
    Options
    I saw a quote one a website once. Went something like this: "Someone busier than you is working out right now."

Perhaps you could get some home workout videos. A lot of them can be done in a matter of 20 minutes.

Love! Check this out:

40 jumping jacks
    30 crunches
    20 squats
    10 push ups

EQUALS A 100 CALORIE BURN....do the math. 2 sets (or however many sets) of these in 20 minutes will give a nice lil calorie burn.

I can't get with excuses. Ask yourself how bad to you want it and then MAKE the time to work out. 20 minutes is better than ZERO! :-)
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i don't have time to work out. i make it.

if you are waiting for someone to come up to you and say "hey, here are two extra hours today. go work out," you are going to be waiting a long time.

we are all given the same amount of time. we all use it differently.

as a friend of mine likes to say "start sleeping faster."
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    Lots of good tips here. We all have 24 hours in a day, equally. We made our choices and we all have stuff we wish we didn't have to do. We choose certain jobs. We choose our classes and/or training. We choose to have kids. We choose to be fit. I've raised kids, gone to school, held a job for 24 years, worked over time, and found time to run. Yes, it's harder when you have kids but that is a sacrifice you make when you choose to have kids, of course they come first, that is how it is supposed to be.
  • PJmetts
    PJmetts Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I don't know who the quote is by, but it was one of the motivational ones they had up here at work a while ago "You will never find time, you have to make it"

I can't make time or find it to do the work outs I want to do but I can make the time to go on a walk at lunch, go up and down the stairs at home a few extra times, get up early and do 20-25 minutes on my elliptical before going to work in the morning. I bought a reflector vest so I can walk the dog at night even if it's dark when I get home (and some pepper spray for safety!) We all make amends to our schedule and compromises to reach our goals. Be flexible, be persistent and be creative!
  • Graceious1
    Graceious1 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I made the same excuse for not working out. Too busy with work, family, studying. It was utter tosh. I work 36 hours a week managing a children's centre, i'm doing a Masters and being a wife and mother. I also, as a previous poster said, felt I was losing myself.

On my 44th birthday I decided to take myself back into control and go back to being as active as I was before becoming a mum and wife. After some planning and discussion with my other half I went back to Tae Kwon Do 2.5 hours a week, doing 20 minute circuits at home daily either before everyone gets up or later and running once at the weekend. I still get to spend time with my husband and son and it is quality time.

It is very important for me to live a healthy lifestyle so that I can be there for my son when he needs me. It is because of this that I make that time for myself to do that special something to prolong my life. Just because we become mothers it doesn't mean that we should push ourself to the background. All this takes a bit of organisation because as a human being you need your "me time". So take it. You can do it.
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    Having been in your situation a long time ago, what I found worked for me was just doing little exercises throughout the day for about 3 to 5 minutes at a time. I would do arm exercises during a commercial break or in when in the kitchen waiting for something to heat up, do some squats, etc., the thing you really have on your side it your age. It may seem like that little won't make a difference but if you add it up by the end of the day you can get 30 minutes of exercise in and if you try that for a few weeks take e a look and see if it has really made a difference.

Good Luck!