Yoga suggestions

Options
I have made the decision to start yoga. I have never done it before and I am looking for suggestions on what type is good for a begginer.

My normal weekly workout routine consists of 3-4 runs 3-4 days of 30 shred as well as 2 weight lifting sessions. I typicially try to take one day off a week.

My main goal for yoga is to become more flexable as I would like to increase my run speed but my hips just don't allow me to take longer strides and I would also like to do some core work.

Any advice?

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    They have DVDs specific to runners. I've never done any of these.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_0_16?url=search-alias=movies-tv&field-keywords=yoga+for+runners&sprefix=yoga+for+runners,aps,240

Collagevideo.com is a great place to research DVDs ... you get video clips & reviews. DVDs are rated, beginner, intermediate, etc.

Just starting out ... I recommend Sara Ivanhoe ... Yoga Body Makeover ... it's a series of 5 - 20 minute yoga practices, plus a 40 minute yoga on a stability ball. Sara is down to earth & really easy to understand

http://www.collagevideo.com/workout-video/sara-ivanhoes-yoga-body-makeover-5586

Hulu.com has a couple of "yoga channels" ... these are free and would give you some ideas too
  • ChristineEaton7210
    ChristineEaton7210 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Bump - thanks for the suggestions TeaBea
  • AllieTF
    Options
    Check out your cable channels as they will often run morning yoga programs, skip the commercials and it's a 20 minute workout for a 30 minute show. Ion station is one to check for sure.
  • brcampan
    brcampan Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I should clarify that I live in Canada and I don't subcribe to cable so hulu and morning cable workouts are a no go.

I have looked on youtube but I can;'t find anything that mentions a specific type of yoga as I would like to eventually start going to classes at a studio. But I dont want to pay for it and not like it.
  • helyg
    helyg Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    For some basic yoga positions have a look at "Yoga for Dummies" on you tube. Sarah Ivanhoe can be a little bit patronising but she goes through everything in minute detail and you know you are doing it right. Then you have a good base from which to move on to more complex stuff.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I should clarify that I live in Canada and I don't subcribe to cable so hulu and morning cable workouts are a no go.

I have looked on youtube but I can;'t find anything that mentions a specific type of yoga as I would like to eventually start going to classes at a studio. But I dont want to pay for it and not like it.

hulu.com is on-line (Hulu+ is the pay channel)

Look for Yoga Zone, Gaiam, Exercise TV & others