Losing weight and buying new clothes

Options
2»

Replies

• Kismet_35
    Kismet_35 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I am quite the clothes horse and I continually get rid of clothes and buy new clothes even if they are just slightly too big. Good fitting clothes are key for me. If I look and feel good I am more likely to stay the course. I have found that a few classic pieces intermixed with pieces from places like Ross, TJMaxx, Target, and clearance racks is the way to go. If we had a good thrift store in my town I would shop there too. Buying cute clothes that I feel sexy and cute in has helped me not to overeat.
  • PaveGurl
    PaveGurl Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    About 90% of my wardrobe is thrifted - it makes a BIG difference :)
  • free2live72003
    Options
    I lost 160lbs+ so I feel your pain.

I had to replace underwear, dress clothes, casual clothes, pajamas, bathing suits, and even shoes.

"Goodwill" became my best friend- I have now leveled off at a size 10-12 but I still sometimes buy things at Goodwill and have gotten many compliments on many of my outfits from there. Buying items for $2.50/each allowed me to have a broader selection in my wardrobe while I was losing weight.

Where I live in Tennessee, the first Saturday of each month Goodwill has everything on 1/2 off, so that is typically when i shop getting most items for about $2.50. Go early to get the best selection. Also, I found that if i luck out and find name brands, barely worn items at Goodwill-- i can turn around and when they no longer fit I sell them back at the Clothes Mentor consignment store for the price I paid for them or even more, so I paid essentially nothing to wear them for awhile. That's a good deal, right!?

While I was losing weight I also opted to buy my clothes at a size a little on the tight side, so that I could wear them longer.
    And I wore them until they were loose and people started commenting on my clothes being too big. Then I would go back and get the next size that felt tight. So, this usually meant i bought new clothes every other size or every three sizes. I occasionally had a friend take in some of my clothes so they fit better, but i found that they still didn't fit well and i preferred the clothing from Goodwill.

Every so often i would go into a regular store and buy a nice new outfit that fit beautifully just to keep myself motivated. But, I work in a management position and could not afford to buy all new dress clothes for work--so, Goodwill helped alot. I also received hand-me-downs from friends who were also losing weight but were a smaller size than myself.

Hope this helps--good luck!
  • felblossom
    felblossom Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I just dove into the back of my closest and pulled out things that I used to wear that haven't fit in a while. Now they are a little loose. :) Pays to be a pack rat, lol. :bigsmile:

This! I hate throwing away clothes, even if I haven't been able to wear them in ages, so I look forward to checking out what I've got in the back haha :) I have also refused to buy clothes in bigger sizes unless it was an absolute necessity. I haven't worn a pair of jeans in over a year, though I've got like 20 pairs that are just too small for me.