What goes thu your head b4 u step on the scale?

Options
Just curious :)
I'm finding it very difficult to only weigh in once a week, I often want to step on the scale everyday; but read somewhere it's best to do it once a week while you are trying to drop weight and then weigh everyday when trying to maintain...
I get nervous when I step on, scared the number will be the same or higher!! I hate that disappointed feeling, it makes me want to give up and wallow in self pity lol.. My weigh in day is tomorrow and I'm hoping to see a 1 or 2 lb loss since last time. What if it's the same?? How do I keep from being so dissapointed and just move on??? I need to learn how to give myself a pep talk or something haha.

Replies

• gillsta_21
    gillsta_21 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to lose weight and I weigh almost every day. I've only lost 12 so far but I find that by not weighing every day I'm usually more disappointed when I do weigh in. At least if I'm doing it every day I know where I'm at for the most part. That's just my opinion though!
  • brbetha01
    brbetha01 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I get butterflies in my stomach in anticipation. When I am down on weight, I'm cheering myself on and dancing around in excitement - I think my dog wonders what the heck I'm doing. I've even heard him step on in a few times. When I'm up or there is no real change, I don't get too down... I try to think what I did differently (or if I know I didn't eat to where I would be able to lose, I'm thankful it wasn't more).
  • moreORless50
    moreORless50 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    i love and hate weigh in days, i do get dissapointed if there is no change but carry on doing what im doing and usally the following week there is a loss if i have eaten well i dont worry to much if it the same but if i have eaten bad that week it gives me a kick up the behind and i am thankfull i didnt gain and try harder the next week .
  • ubermensch13
    ubermensch13 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Nothing goes through my head because I rarely get on my scale. I might every month or so, but I know those numbers don't tell much of a story. I know I'm only trying to lose 10lbs, while adding muscle and definition, so my goals might be different, but I notice the effects in how my clothes fit and how much more weight I can lift today than I could a month ago. Those are the results I truly care about.
  • gskitten
    Options
    That's a tough one because the number on the scale doesn't accuterely account for bloating or muscle mass gains or inches.... we are too dependent on the scale but how to stay away?? we should only weigh in once a week but im on there too often as well! one day at a time :)
  • MadtownMadisonian
    MadtownMadisonian Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning, as it seems there can be about a 5 pound range depending on water and even simply the bulk of what was eaten the day before. If you weigh in once a week you might get a misleading reading that, e.g., shows little or no weight loss when in fact it is just a day when you had retained more water. By watching my weight go up and down in a range, I can maintain my calm about the precise figure. I celebrate whenever I set a new "low," as well as when 2 weeks go by without having hit a previous "high" weight - in other words, my range is dropping.

That said, I have been on a plateau for a month now with a range that hasn't budged, and must say I am very very tired of seeing the same 5 numbers showing up on my scale. Ah well - it's a lifestyle, not a diet, right?
  • think48
    think48 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    To me, it's more of a game. I guess what I think the number will be and 9/10 times I'm within 0.2 pounds which is pretty cool. I think it's kind of fun.
  • tejasmh87
    tejasmh87 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I track weight usually twice a day in one simple phone app- just so I track my flucations with my new running and water intake. Nothing goes through my head on those.

Tuesday mornings is my official MPF weigh in and I have a "Please be under _#__." moment :)