Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

what's the best cheese?

canadagirl79
canadagirl79 Posts: 154
edited September 20 in Food and Nutrition
For say cheese and crackers, or as a snack, or on nachos, etc...being in Canada I have different locations and brand names as everyone else but at least I could get an idea what you look for....low fat, etc??

TIA

Replies

• xonophone
    xonophone Posts: 474 Member
    I don't know if you have the same brands as we do in the US, but for cheese & crackers, I buy Laughing cow. They are indiviudally wrapped triangles, and they come in a round box (the traingles fit together like slices of pizza). I buy the light wedges, which are 35 calories and just the right amount for one serving size of crackers. For cooking, I buy lowfat or part-skim cheeses.
  • Arienna
    Arienna Posts: 913
    I personally always buy reduced fat cheese. Some like the full fat because it has a little less sodium. I buy 2% cheese slices, shredded, block, feta, etc. For nachos I LOVE Muenster Cheese. It's really yummy, there is no reduced fat though but in general it's between the reduced fat and full fat cheeses as far as fat, calories and sodium go!

Edit: I agree about the laughing cow cheese! They are yummy, too!
  • omid990
    omid990 Posts: 785 Member
    something that is stronger in taste so you need less of it.
    i'm a fan of sharp cheddar for crackers.

i'm also a fet fanatic. i put it on everything.

usually, i just look for low fat or that the cheese has been made with 2% or skim milk.
  • tlblood
    tlblood Posts: 473 Member
    For the most part I buy cheeses made with 2% milk. They are lower fat versions of "normal" cheese. I can't stand fat free cheese... yuck! I buy shredded 2% cheeses for tacos, recipes, etc. They make 2% block cheese which would be good for cheese and crackers, but I have a tendency to go over board with block cheese, so I try not to keep it in my house.
  • ppahler
    ppahler Posts: 16
    I like the weight watchers string cheese. It tastes good and its only 50 cals a stick.
  • It would depend on what you're planning on using it for. I use Fat Free Feta in my egg beaters for omelets - but if you're using it to munch on or for crackers most fat free cheese have an odd consistency. Although for a grilled cheese sandwich I use Fat Free American Cheese. Yes, it's highly processed, but it does the trick :)
  • xonophone
    xonophone Posts: 474 Member
    Oh yeah, Feta is great! Fairly low in calories yet it has a lot of flavor. I also buy light Swiss, although it doesn't have as much flavor as cheddar you get used to it. And I will usually add a sliced jalapeno on top to give it a kick.
  • pamh5555
    pamh5555 Posts: 191 Member
    I am very picky on my cheese. I usually one like yellow american, white american, sharp cheddar, montery jack with jalapenos. For soft cheeses, i really like the laughing cow lite garlic and herb. Lots of flavor. I also happen to love the pub cheese with garlic and herb.
  • kellygirl5538
    kellygirl5538 Posts: 597 Member
    To be honest, I have decreased the amount of cheese I eat, and I'm loosing more. I usually eat one serving a cheese a day, reduced feta or swiss......only one slice tho
    !
  • emilyfh
    emilyfh Posts: 291 Member
    have to get some laughing cow, had it awhile back, was really good. I use Kraft fat free, for my pizza or on egg mcmuffin. I love cheese, so if I did buy regular or reduced, I might not stop eating it :tongue: I do want to check the sodium, fat free maybe higher than the low fat.
  • Mmmm my favourite is goat cheese! It's strong so you don't tend to eat much of it, but it's so yummy!
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    I buy Kraft 2% slices (45 cals) for my breakfast sandwiches, but I eat regular provolone (70 cals) on my lunch sandwiches. I also have some laughing cow that i eat on crackers. I loveeee cheese!! Oh and I have some 2% shredded mexican cheese for tacos tomorrow! You really can't tell a difference with the 2%. I would not eat fat free...won't even go there :D
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    I stopped using any of the fat free because the sodium content was off the charts!!
    Like someone said - the stronger the cheese, the less of the taste you will need.

I also love feta - huge Tre Stella light feta fan
    I love goats cheese, they make little medallions that are perfect for salads, or to eat with some walnuts.
  • For cheese and crackers or even for nachos,
    I'd say reduced fat tasty/ vintage cheeder would be the way to go
    but only so long as you grate it up yourself and limit yourself
    to say 25-30g Maximum for a snack. Trust me im a cheese lover
    and was surprised at how much 25-30g of grated cheese is.
    I bought a small digital scale that has a flat top surface for weighing
    small things like cheese or light weight meat like a slice of salami.
    I bought them from Coles but im sure most supermarkets would have them
  • catherine1979
    catherine1979 Posts: 704 Member
    I love Babybel cheese, I think it has something to do with taking it out of the wax casing that makes it so satisfying!
  • ractayjon
    ractayjon Posts: 365
    Cheese is high in fat and that is what makes it hard to consume for a calorie watcher. However, that doesnt mean you shouldnt eat it - it has calcium and protein.

Feta contains 20g of fat per 100g — 20 per cent — as does mozzarella, Camembert 24 per cent, Brie has 29 per cent, Parmesan 30 per cent, Stilton 31 per cent, Gruyère 33 per cent and cheddar 35 per cent. Edam contains 26 per cent fat.

Cottage cheese is your best bet. Very low in fat and good in protein.

Swiss has about 30 g of fat per 100g, Cheddar has about 450 g per 100g.

All of these choices can be found in a lower fat variety or a fat free variety...but a lot of times taste goes out the window as you get lower in fat (on cheeses) so it really depends on what you are eating it with (for example a fat free cheese wont melt very well, so if you are using it as a tpper for a hot sandwich probably not the best choice, but as a cold snack such as grapes and cheese it would be fine)

The best bet is to find the flavor of cheese you like best (light, strong, sharp, sweet) and figure out the best fat choice for your needs.
  • I am a cheese lover and I have cut my cheese intake from daily to once a week. The calories are so high...I did just pick up some Live Active marble cheese tho. Its 90 calories for 1 serving and they are preopackaged so I can determine how much I am going to eat.
  • I am a cheese lover and I have cut my cheese intake from daily to once a week. The calories are so high...I did just pick up some Live Active marble cheese tho. Its 90 calories for 1 serving and they are preopackaged so I can determine how much I am going to eat.

YES, I just seen this in the store tonight...Is it any good?
This discussion has been closed.