2nd time mum: scared I'll never lose weight

Hello there

I had my second son six weeks ago and I know it's really soon to be worrying about this but I am scared that I will never lose the two to three stone that I have put on during my two pregnancies and fairly sedentary couple of years caring for young children. I am not one of those 'naturally thin people' and the weight didn't exactly drop off last time so I am looking for some reassurance that it is actually POSSIBLE to lose this weight. I just feel like I am destined to always be this big, unhealthy person now - and as somebody who used to walk an hour and a half to work and back each day I feel so sad about that. I want to be this fit mum who can run around after my little ones and I don't feel like I ever will be. Can anybody tell me if, despite not being the type to lose weight, I can do this?

Also, anybody know how many calories I should be aiming for by day while breastfeeding? I've read a book called 'Eat well lose weight while breastfeeding' which suggests 2,300 but concerned that's a bit much. Any thoughts? Thank you

Looking for friends in a similar position too! x

Replies

• I had my 2nd baby just the past December (my first May of '09). I was overweight when I became pregnant too. My highest weight, pregnant, was 236 pounds. My son turns 10 months old in 4 days and today I weigh 151 pounds.

Unless you have some sort of medical condition, you ARE the type to lose weight. Anyone can lose weight! There is no destiny to be big! Weight loss is a lot about mindset, and you need to figure out a way to work on yours and believe you can do this.

Not sure about the calories for breastfeeding though. 2300 doesn't seem like that much to me, you could always try 2000 and see how it goes and add more if your supply is effected.
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Of course you can do it, most anyone can! Just get up and start moving. Put the kids in a stroller and go for a walk. Do some jumping jacks while they are napping or sitting and watching. Use the kids as weights and lift them up! My point being that while you may not be able to find the time to go to a gym, there is plenty of things you can do while still being there for the kinds and even involving them. Watching your food (once you figure out calories) is also a great place to start. Is it always easy? No! Is it exhausting being a new mother? Hell yea! But I think if you start with little changes you will soon find more ways to fit things in and your motivation will continue to improve.