costume

Options
Maryaly40
Maryaly40 Posts: 551 Member
So the Halloween costume I want is $60. It's a bit crazy to spend that much money on something I'll wear once, this year anyway. Do I do it or no???? Whatcha think???? It's the Rydell High cheerleader costume. What to do, what to do?

Replies

• wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Options
    forget the costume. take the $60 and buy liquor and drink it on halloween. then tell people you are going as AWESOME.

honestly, $60 is a lot - is there a way that you can piece together something similar for less? have you checked places like ebay?
  • Dub_D
    Dub_D Posts: 1,760 Member
    Options
    That's not bad at all..you will spend that much just on a few drinks.
  • Scottish_charlene_84
    Options
    I LOVE Halloween and if ive got something to go to then i dont mind spending the £ once a year. My costume last year was £130 which is roughly $200 :tongue:
  • corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Buy it an use it in the bedroom where it's Halloween all year around!
  • APBTChampion
    APBTChampion Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Do it!

One day a year you can dress up as whatever you want, as long as you aren't breaking the bank - there's no problem. Next year (since this year I won't be fit enough), I'm going to get a Harley Quinn outfit (skin tight), so I can show off my sleek physique!
  • APBTChampion
    APBTChampion Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Buy it an use it in the bedroom where it's Halloween all year around!

HA! ^^^ love this!
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    forget the costume. take the $60 and buy liquor and drink it on halloween. then tell people you are going as AWESOME.

honestly, $60 is a lot - is there a way that you can piece together something similar for less? have you checked places like ebay?

HECK YEAH!
  • Shelbert79
    Shelbert79 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I'd say get it. And you don't have to wear it only once. I've already gotten 'use' out of my costume and it's only the middle of the month :wink:
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    get it! Have fun!! If you don't you'll wish you had. You'll tell yourself for months that you wish you would have gotten that costume you really really wanted. Just get it! Then as another poster said wear it in the bedroom :wink: Get more bang for your buck lol :blushing:
  • LilPinkNinja
    Options
    I saw that costume (my kids are going as a poodle skirt girl, 50s car hop waitress, and Elvis) and it is adorable!! I say go for it :)
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Save your money and make a costume.

Seriously.

My husband and I were looking for a sexy big bird costume (yes, because of the Mitt Romney thing. He's going to dress up as a hunter LOL). Not only were the costumes NOT sexy but they were $50 for CRAP! So we ended up ordering three yellow feather boa's, a big bird "hat" and went to the local good will store and bought a yellow shirt which was just converted into a skirt with feathers from the boa sewn on it. Next I'm hitting walmart for some white knee highs that I can dye for the feet.

Total cost of the costume is going to end up to be less than $20.
  • Maryaly40
    Maryaly40 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Thank everyone for your input. I'm still undecided :indifferent:
  • GamerGurl729
    GamerGurl729 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    If you can make it for less, I'd do it.

But if not, and you have the money I still say do it. You only live once.
  • Caffeinewitch
    Caffeinewitch Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Don't fool yourself - most decent homemade costumes take way more time than what you have now. If you asked this in august I'd say you'd be cutting it close.

If you're really worried about the money, you can always find cool stuff at the thrift store to put together as a neat costume.

Buy the costume! It sounds like you're going to have fun with it ^_^
  • PixieGoddess
    PixieGoddess Posts: 1,833 Member
    Options
    Uhm....Isn't the Rydell High cheerleading outfit just a red poodle skirt and a white sweater with a red 'R' on it?? WHY WOULD YOU PAY SO MUCH FOR THAT?! :noway:

1. Get a plain red poodle skirt from a thrift store or even the Halloween store if needed. A non-branded one will be cheaper.
    2. Get a plain white sweater from a thrift store or wherever you like to buy clothes. Again I say, a non-branded one will be cheaper.
    3. Get a single piece of red felt from the craft store - it'll be about a dollar.
    4. Cut the felt into an 'R' - you can print a big 'R' onto a piece of paper to make a stencil, if needed.
    5. Sew/safety-pin/iron the felt onto the sweater.
    TADA!!
  • Tannedtiffers
    Tannedtiffers Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I'm making my costume and starting this week on it. You have plenty of time to hook yourself up instead of wasting lots of money on that one. PM me if you would rather have a little bit neater skirt idea for it and make it a little more "girlie". And, it's no-sew and probably around 6.00 to make it.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Don't fool yourself - most decent homemade costumes take way more time than what you have now. If you asked this in august I'd say you'd be cutting it close.

If you're really worried about the money, you can always find cool stuff at the thrift store to put together as a neat costume.

Buy the costume! It sounds like you're going to have fun with it ^_^

Not true!

My husband and I have made some awesome costumes merely weeks before Halloween or whatever party we're going to.

A few years ago he put together an extremely elaborate costume the day we were supposed to be going to a party and it came out fantastic.

You have plenty of time to make a really good home made costume.