WHY AM I SOOOOO HUNGRY LATE AT NIGHT???

Options
I don't understand why I am so hungry late at night... I wake up around 4am starving and belly growling as if I didn't eat the entire day. :frown: Am I doing anything wrong? Am I even able to eat at that hour? Speaking of which, what is the safe time to eat up til? I hear you should never eat past 7p some say 9p others say it doesn't matter as long as you follow you calories.. Someone please give me some insight...

Replies

• stephanie1133
    Options
    I'd consid 4am morning since that's when I typically get up, and I usually eat breakfast not that long after because I'm hungry from not eating since the evening before. Makes sense to me.

There's no such thing as a safe time to stop eating -- it's a personal preference. I hate eating past 4pm, but that's just me.

Just adjust when you eat if it is bothering you.
  • teamfit2day
    teamfit2day Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why I am so hungry late at night... I wake up around 4am starving and belly growling as if I didn't eat the entire day. :frown: Am I doing anything wrong? Am I even able to eat at that hour? Speaking of which, what is the safe time to eat up til? I hear you should never eat past 7p some say 9p others say it doesn't matter as long as you follow you calories.. Someone please give me some insight...

Are you consuming enough protein throughout the day? Or does your last meal of the night contain atleast 10-15 grams fo protein? I ask only because protein is what keep you feeling full, carbohydrates are mainly used for energy by your body so if your not having enough protein during the day or before bed, this *might be why your feeling hungry in the morning.
  • smiling_sushi
    smiling_sushi Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    It absolutely does not matter what time of day you eat, so long as you are within your calories. Your body does not magically stop digesting at 9:00pm or whatever other times people come up with. That myth came about because there appeared to be some correlation between late night eating and weight gain - but that is because late night eaters tended to eat too much food and most of it not especially healthy.

I second what teamfit2day said - consume some protein right before you sleep if you're waking up so hungry. I personally find cottage cheese to be a nice late night protein. Anything like that will work well.