Anyone replaced the glass on a phone before?

Options
I was so happy to get my brand new samsung SIII. I have only had it a little over a week and dropped the damn thing face down on the concrete. Needless to say the glass is broken. I have ordered a new glass and the tools to fix it through Amazon. Just wondering if anyone has ever done this before? Lessons learned?

Replies

• mjhedgehog
    mjhedgehog Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I've had to replace the glass on my ipod touch before. I found some videos on youtube that showed step by step how to do it. not sure if your phone comes apart the same way as my ipod but maybe you could search youtube for yours. A lesson I learned was to 1) buy a protective case and 2) to not be cheap and buy the warranty haha :laugh:
  • CarlieeBear
    CarlieeBear Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I have Best Buy's insurance on my EVO and will be getting a free replacement next week. I dropped mine and cracked the glass. When my previous EVO was stolen, I used Sprint's protection plan to replace it with $100 deductible. I didn't know you could replace it yourself...sounds scary to me.
  • katamus
    katamus Posts: 2,363 Member
    Options
    I've done replacements on iPhones numerous times. I don't dare touch the Super-AMOLED screens. Good luck!
  • pawnstarNate
    pawnstarNate Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    I replaced one on my stepsons ipod touch...it's tricky but, if you take your time...it can be done properly
  • Froggy1976
    Options
    I have watched a few videos on how to do it. It looks a little scary. My biggest worry is breaking the LCD underneath or getting dust under the glass.
  • Froggy1976
    Options
    I am proud to announce that I received the new glass for my phone yesterday. After about 3 hours of tedious removal of the old one, I now have a new unshattered glass on my phone. It worked!
    $30 for the new glass, tools and adehesive vs. $199 deductible on an insurance claim. Glad it worked.
  • dcurzon
    dcurzon Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    great job!