Drinking Alcohol and losing weight

Options

Replies

• MissyJessy
    MissyJessy Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    I gave it up. In the first month I lost 13 pounds. I really did not think I would be able to give it up, but I did. My husband is a jazz musician so his life finds me frequently 'out'. I must say, I like NOT drinking when I am out, way better. I'm a much better driver!! on the way home...my evenings are more productive and mornings much brighter. I also did not become someone who is judgmental of those who drink, I just choose not to. My doctor recommended the book, "Killing Yourself with your Fork?" and he definitely does not recommend drinking and states the health reasons why. Sold me. Anyway....there is balance in everything, and the point of all of this is to enjoy your life....so enjoy, and do what makes you happy.

:laugh:
  • SexyLovinmeCook
    SexyLovinmeCook Posts: 1,393 Member
    Options
    Hard honest truth....NO
    Drinking alcohol and loosing weight does not work together.
    An "occassional drink" is ok - means once in a blue moon....but every weekend wont work.
    All the good work during the week is being erased with a couple of drinks as they are all "empty calouries".
    Wanna loose weigh - ditch the alcohol

Occasional drinking would be a better options...But I do believe they can still work together with lose weight..The process may take longer but you can still lose with beers, etc.....Speaking from experience...
  • opus649
    opus649 Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    Hard honest truth....NO
    Drinking alcohol and loosing weight does not work together.
    An "occassional drink" is ok - means once in a blue moon....but every weekend wont work.
    All the good work during the week is being erased with a couple of drinks as they are all "empty calouries".
    Wanna loose weigh - ditch the alcohol

Tell that to the 40 pounds I lost. :drinker:
  • weightloss12345678
    weightloss12345678 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I do it alot more than I should but i just hit the gym harder the next day after the hangover
  • kaypeesee19
    kaypeesee19 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    vodka and crystal light is the best! the lime one mixed with vodka, water and some diet 7up is almost like a vodka special. vodka is really good with the pink lemonade crystal light too. When i go to the bar I usually just drink vodka and diet coke which is about 60 calories.
  • Britt2Fitjrny
    Britt2Fitjrny Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Vodka + water + Mio (0 cal water flavoring) = Low calorie drink! Mmmm :drinker:
  • vlivengood
    Options
    I too drink on Friday and Saturday night, I am a beer drinker and wish every bar carried bud select 55 but they rarely do so I stick to Michelob ultra's and try my best to keep my calorie counts down for the day or hit the gym a bit harder.

I have managed to loose all the weight I wanted with this method and If I did not have a nice cold one to look forward to on the weekends and would never survive the week :)
  • missprincessgina
    missprincessgina Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Truth be told, I drink 3-4 nights a week. Because of that I gave up beer :sad: and basically stick to Grey Goose on the rocks or Grey Goose and soda water. Or red wine. One of my goals was to drink less vodka but it hasn't happened yet.

I like the sugary drinks (like margaritas and white russians) but I never drink those anymore!
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Yes. No.

A glass of wine a night with dinner won't do harm if it is within your calories.

A drink at a bar in the early evening (9, 10) won't do much harm.

Getting hammered every weekend could theoretically harm your weight loss. If it causes an overall lack of sleep (sleep debt), it can raise stress levels and cause a hormonal imbalance.

Really, "drinking" isn't just a yes/no thing. It is how much and when.
  • missprincessgina
    missprincessgina Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    hard core alchoholics are usually super skinny

Not the beer drinkers i mean the people who put vodka in there cereal

Theres nothing wrong with vodka in your captain crunch :bigsmile: :drinker:
  • vlivengood
    Options
    Keep in mind the average shot of vodka is around 95 calories in itself.......
  • sugarlips1980
    sugarlips1980 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I've managed to lose 13 pounds in my first month while not quitting alcohol. Hey, you've got to be realistic! I have made adjustments though. I don't drink much in the house anymore, not that i did much anyway. When out, i stay way from creamy cocktails. Try to have vodka and soda water most of the night. It tastes boring but then might allow myself a coupe of rosé wines at the end. I've also bought some Champagne on special offer - that's the best for calories! Can't always afford that when out mind! And I try to save some calories from food throughout the day (but don't go out drinking on an empty stomach) and I exercise like mad dung the day (burn say 800 cals). Then I figure out how much cals I save within my daily allowance for booze and (try!) to count them! End up a few hundred cals over but that ain't too bad. I log the dancing cals too!
  • LadyBeryl
    LadyBeryl Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Calories are calories. Count 'em and don't worry about it. It may help you to STAY on your diet if you don't feel deprived and don't regress because lamenting over a single drink. It is no different from having an occasional truffle.

That said, the problem is when alcohol hinders your judgment and you don't log all of the alcohol calories and what you might eat WHILE drinking.

Except for red wine, what alcohol does anything positively for fitness?
  • joannathechef
    joannathechef Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    If you are under your calories why not?

Read this is explains some good things about subject

http://www.leangains.com/2010/07/truth-about-alcohol-fat-loss-and-muscle.html
  • krickeyuu
    krickeyuu Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I have lost 20 lbs since January and I drink wine daily. I do cardio daily to pay for those drinks but as I see it, this is a long haul game and I do not intend to give up anything per se. Life is about enjoying food, wine, company so I don't ban anything in moderation. If I go to the County Fair, I eat fried food. If I am at a Wedding or Birthday party and I want cake, I eat cake. Out for Mexican food, I might sip on a Margarita. I just build it into my calorie count and my Macros and give myself a break once in a while. This is the only life I have so I am choosing to live with joy and not deny myself something I enjoy.
  • bjmcq
    bjmcq Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    After having a glass of wine one evening to make up the calorie count, I looked it up!

OOPS ! the reputable sites say that it slows your metabolism, so you are not burning up food/fat energy..

So if you have only a few to lose it will be different than if you are trying to meet a weekly goal.

Hope that helps...you should see what other sites say....is a calorie just a calorie, or is an alcohol sugar act differently...
    Good luck
  • MissyJessy
    MissyJessy Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    hard core alchoholics are usually super skinny

Not the beer drinkers i mean the people who put vodka in there cereal

Theres nothing wrong with vodka in your captain crunch :bigsmile: :drinker:

Cannot dissagree here they tend to keep their crunch better than if eaten with milk or orange juice
  • bet3120
    bet3120 Posts: 125
    Options
    Between Friday and Saturday I drink several glasses of vodka and tonic, but always try to be hydrated taking between drinks a bottle of water, i still losing weight :drinker:
  • laceyfowler
    laceyfowler Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind the average shot of vodka is around 95 calories in itself.......

Actually, that's not true. A shot of vodka has 64 calories... on average a shot of flavored vodka has 69 calories. So, a shot of flavored vodka + club soda would ring in at... yup, you guessed it - a delicious 69 calorie drink!

Now, I'm not saying that drinking is healthy and will help weight loss, but from a mathematical, calorie-counting perspective you can certainly have several drinks now and then, account for the calories, and lose weight no problem.

Note that if you drink chronically, that's a different story - as others mentioned, heavy drinking can have a big impact upon your body's ability to function properly.
  • FITnFIRM4LIFE
    FITnFIRM4LIFE Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Truth be told...I drink almost every weekend....I am sure it slows my process of losing weight...It is just hard to give it up... But that does sound good...and do share the recipe of the lemon drop w/grey goose..

This + maintained weight year and half..Beer is my fav...Fit it in..Everything works within reason;-) Cheers!