TO DO IR OR NOT TO DO IT...THAT IS THE QUESTION

NewBeginning2010
NewBeginning2010 Posts: 235 Member
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
AND THE QUESTION IS THAT MY WEIGH IN DAYS ARE FRIDAY I STARTED ON THE 1ST. MY FIRST WEIGH IN DOWN 7 LBS :love: MY SECOND WEIGH IN UP 2 POUNDS FROM THAT EQUALING A TOTAL LOSS OF 5. I WEIGHED MYSELF FRIDAY AND SATURDAY AND SUNDAY AND IT WAS STILL STUCK AT THE SAME NUMBER...I DIDNT WEIGH IN THIS AM BUT IM VERY TEMPTED TO WEIGH IN TOMORROW AM THAT GIVES ME 3 DAYS TIL MY ACTUAL WEIGH IN....I WILL BE DEVASTATED IF IT HASNT MOVED BY FRIDAY....SHOULD I GET ON TOMORROW OR NOT? :frown:

Replies

• meganwojo
    meganwojo Posts: 221 Member
    once a week! your going to drive yourself crazy girl!! Pick one day a week and dont pull that scale out till then..i weigh in every monday and THATS it..no matter how tempting it may be, your going to make yourself upset haha! Plus your weight flucates on a day to day basis because of water weight.
  • Notenispal
    Notenispal Posts: 168 Member
    I only weigh myself once a week. That way, I don't obsess about the scale. The number on the scale is almost an after thought to me. I know I'm eating well, exercising when I need to and the number just tells me I'm headed in the right direction. It can fluctuate for so many reasons and I know many people (including myself in the past) quit when the scale keeps reading numbers I don't want to see.

For that reason, at the most I would suggest weighing yourself once a week just to track where your going. If you continue to gain or stay the same from week to week, then look at your journal and see what needs to be changed.

Hope this helps!
  • ce_fit
    ce_fit Posts: 299 Member
    I weigh in on Tuesday & wednesday and record the lowest weight of those two days. History has shown me that weighing in on a Fri thru Monday gives me my poorest results. I have figured that I do not drink as much water on the weekend and they tend to be my less disciplined days.
    My vote is weigh in every day for the first couple of weeks, see if you have a pattern of when you tend to weigh the least. Once you figure that out then pick the day or days when you tend to weigh the least.
    In the short term do not worry about the up & down readings that you are getting.
    Good luck.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Choose one day to weigh in, and make that your official day. If you need to, check once, about mid-week, with your weigh in, but don't log it. Mutliple weigh ins only lead to heartache and frustration.
  • Nmama
    Nmama Posts: 191 Member
    Once a week, and watch your sodium! If I have a meal with alot it will make me 'gain' about 3lbs for 3-4 days and then it magically disapears.
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    You need to not base how you are going to feel that day on whatever number the scale says. That's a recipe for failure. Are your clothes fitting better? Are you using a measuring tape? Do you feel better?? Is getting through that cardio a little easier this time??
  • ambercole
    ambercole Posts: 426
    Personally I weigh in everyday. Then I record the lowest weight that week. I do this because my weight varies from day to day and if I only weighed in one day a week with my luck it would be on an "up" day and I would be devastated. This way I can catch my actual weight. I figure that there are going to be days that the scale will be up more than it should be but it really can't be down more than it should be, so the lowest # will be your actual weight.
  • ractayjon
    ractayjon Posts: 365
    this is one of those topics that will have both sides of the argument weighing in with two very good points. When it comes to weighing in the ultimate answer is you shouldnt -ever and that you should throw away the scale. The experts feel that weighing on a scale has to many outside factors to be accurate (water weight, hormones, when you ate, body waste). They feel that the best way to "size" yourself is a BMI meaasurement.
    Any person trying to slim down is not going to throw out the scale - we are instant gratification people we need to see that we are doing it the right way.
    So - the best way to weigh would be monthly. Yes, thats right one time per month (and take measurements at that time too for a good point of reference). Again - monthly isnt going to help us 13 days into it...we need a motivator (the scale going down) so we have all accepted this "weekly" weigh in as a the compromise - a healthy weight loss is 1-2 pounds per week depending on how much you have to lose - when you have a lot to lose 5-7 can be healthy too. But when we watch The Biggest Loser and see 10 pounds coming off these people we dont relate it to ur day to day activity or to our size we just want 10 pounds to come off too.
    With all of that said I feel that it all comes down to you and your own personality. I weigh every day. I get up every morning, go to the bathroom, strip naked and weigh (at 7am) - same time, same scale, same circumstance. Some days I am up some I am down. I dont record each days weight. I do look at my meals the day or two before and see how that has effected my number. Am I up? Did I eat too much sodium? (If I did I WILL be up), did I drink enough water? I dont expect the scale to go down every day -- it cant if Im planning to lose 1-2 pounds a week - but I do take note of what foods/activities effect me.
    I WARN YOU -- some people can not do this because if they see a gain or a stay the same it will mentally push them into a frustrated state and they will blow their diet based on one weigh in. They will have worked hard and ate well and see a gain of a pound or two and think thats it I gained Im giving up. Everyone knows their own personality and if the daily weigh in can be a motivator and keep you on track - its a good thing but if it can derail you I say dont do it.
  • NewBeginning2010
    NewBeginning2010 Posts: 235 Member
    THANK YOU SO MUCH TO EVERYONE FOR THEIR RESPONSES. I UNDERSTAND EVERYONE WORKS DIFFERENTLY. TO BE HONEST THE THOUGHTS HELPED EVEN THOUGH I KNEW ID WEIGH IN AGAIN HOPING IT WOULD GO DOWN..

WELL IM ON 4 DAYS NO SODA WOHOO....AND I KNOW I SHOULDNT HAVE AND I KNOW ITS NOT FRIDAY MY WEIGH IN BUT I WAS SO DETERMINED TO GET THE SCALE TO MOVE.....TODAY I GOT ON 3 TIMES IN A ROW IT SAID 220!:noway: I WAS SOOOOOOO HAPPY NOW LETS HOPE IT STAYS THAT WAY SO I CAN RECORD IT FRIDAY!

I COULDNT HELP GETTING EXCITED AND IM PRAYING THAT I WONT BE FAT FOREVER

THANKS AGAIN FOR ALL THE HELP :love:
This discussion has been closed.