Eating back what I exercised?

I've been reading a bunch of different posts and I'm still confused. Should I be eating back the calories I burned exercising? If so, should I eat all of them or just some of them? Should I eat them even if I'm not really hungry? How do I figure that out? Lots of questions and I'm sure they've been answered a gazillion times, but I'm just lost.

Replies

• pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Yes, eat them. MFP already sets a deficit for you when you sign up.

If you're not hungry, don't force yourself to eat. Instead try to eat more calorie dense food on exercise days to account for the extra calories you're going to need to eat back.
  • kentmac
    kentmac Posts: 101 Member
    You don't HAVE to.

Listen to your body. If you worked out and are ravenous because you burned 1/3 the calories you ate that day, eat them back. If you feel fine, don't worry about it!
  • kellicci
    kellicci Posts: 409 Member
    It's personal preference really.

If you set up your MFP goals with an activity level that included regular workouts then you should not eat them back as they are factored in. If you did not factor them into activity level then you log in any extra activity and you can eat those calories back. If you're hungry I say go ahead and eat them you'll still ahvea defeict if you do taht's how MFP works. If you're just not hungy then don't...but try not to eat way under your BMR for long stretches (months) as this isn;t really sustainable or very good for you. Different things work for different people so try it out until you find your groove.
  • :smile: agree with the above 2 posts
  • Sometimes if I go over one day, I workout and don't eat them back the next day.....